turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I amend my already filed tax returns to include 1040NR form?

I've recently filed for my tax returns for 2017 with Turbo Tax. I wasn't however aware that since I am an international F1 student, your app didn't handle my case. I heard that I'm also supposed to file my 1040NR form. I'm a little worried, since my tax refund has already been 'approved'. I haven't received it yet though.

Could you please advise me on the best way to handle this?

Thank you!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you already used TurboTax to file a return and you needed 1040NR, you will need to amend it to the correct one. You will have to wait until the IRS either accepts or rejects it. If they reject your return, you can just leave it and use Sprintax to file a 1040NR. But if they accept the return you filed using TurboTax, you will have to wait until they have processed and provided you the refund and then amend that return to a 1040NR (or 1040NR-EZ).

NOTE: An F1 student is a nonresident alien for the first 5 calendar years only

Sprintax produces your non-resident tax return, including IRS tax forms 1040NR, 1040NR-EZ, 8843 and W-7 ITIN application depending on your personal needs. Go here https://www.sprintax.com/non-resident-alien-tax-1040nr-turbotax.html

You can use the steps here below to amend from 1040 to a 1040NR, after the IRS has accepted your return and you've received refund (or paid tax due). Then you will need to mail it in, as amended returns cannot be e-filed. So follow the steps here below to help you fix this situation. 

**Make sure you check the box to show the tax year that you are amending on the Form 1040X.

To amend Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ, or to file the correct return, do the following: 
  • Enter your name, current address, and social security number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) on the front of Form 1040X.
  • Don’t enter any other information on page 1. Also, don’t complete Parts I or II on page 2 of Form 1040X.
  • Enter in Part III the reason why you are filing Form 1040X. 
  • Complete a new or corrected return (Form 1040, Form 1040NR, etc.). 
  • Across the top of the new or corrected return, write “Amended.” 
  • Attach the new or corrected return to the back of Form 1040X.
Form 1040X Instructions https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040x.pdf   

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If you already used TurboTax to file a return and you needed 1040NR, you will need to amend it to the correct one. You will have to wait until the IRS either accepts or rejects it. If they reject your return, you can just leave it and use Sprintax to file a 1040NR. But if they accept the return you filed using TurboTax, you will have to wait until they have processed and provided you the refund and then amend that return to a 1040NR (or 1040NR-EZ).

NOTE: An F1 student is a nonresident alien for the first 5 calendar years only

Sprintax produces your non-resident tax return, including IRS tax forms 1040NR, 1040NR-EZ, 8843 and W-7 ITIN application depending on your personal needs. Go here https://www.sprintax.com/non-resident-alien-tax-1040nr-turbotax.html

You can use the steps here below to amend from 1040 to a 1040NR, after the IRS has accepted your return and you've received refund (or paid tax due). Then you will need to mail it in, as amended returns cannot be e-filed. So follow the steps here below to help you fix this situation. 

**Make sure you check the box to show the tax year that you are amending on the Form 1040X.

To amend Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ, or to file the correct return, do the following: 
  • Enter your name, current address, and social security number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) on the front of Form 1040X.
  • Don’t enter any other information on page 1. Also, don’t complete Parts I or II on page 2 of Form 1040X.
  • Enter in Part III the reason why you are filing Form 1040X. 
  • Complete a new or corrected return (Form 1040, Form 1040NR, etc.). 
  • Across the top of the new or corrected return, write “Amended.” 
  • Attach the new or corrected return to the back of Form 1040X.
Form 1040X Instructions https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040x.pdf   

Hi, I did amend my 2018 tax forms but sprint tax didn't generate form 8843 and turbo tax also didn't generate while filing the 2018 taxes.  I need to submit 8843 but not sure if I should send it along with the amended package or do I need to send it separately. 

Also, I entered USA in 2015 on F1 and I had no income for the years  2015 and 2016. I didn't submit 8843 form 8843 for 2015 and 2016. Can I submit it now?
FYI, I didn't have SSN during 2015 and 2016, still I need to submit the 8843 those years?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies