If you already used TurboTax to file a return and ...
Level 9

After you file

If you already used TurboTax to file a return and you needed 1040NR, you will need to amend it to the correct one. You will have to wait until the IRS either accepts or rejects it. If they reject your return, you can just leave it and use Sprintax to file a 1040NR. But if they accept the return you filed using TurboTax, you will have to wait until they have processed and provided you the refund and then amend that return to a 1040NR (or 1040NR-EZ).

NOTE: An F1 student is a nonresident alien for the first 5 calendar years only

Sprintax produces your non-resident tax return, including IRS tax forms 1040NR, 1040NR-EZ, 8843 and W-7 ITIN application depending on your personal needs. Go here https://www.sprintax.com/non-resident-alien-tax-1040nr-turbotax.html

You can use the steps here below to amend from 1040 to a 1040NR, after the IRS has accepted your return and you've received refund (or paid tax due). Then you will need to mail it in, as amended returns cannot be e-filed. So follow the steps here below to help you fix this situation. 

**Make sure you check the box to show the tax year that you are amending on the Form 1040X.

To amend Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ, or to file the correct return, do the following: 
  • Enter your name, current address, and social security number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) on the front of Form 1040X.
  • Don’t enter any other information on page 1. Also, don’t complete Parts I or II on page 2 of Form 1040X.
  • Enter in Part III the reason why you are filing Form 1040X. 
  • Complete a new or corrected return (Form 1040, Form 1040NR, etc.). 
  • Across the top of the new or corrected return, write “Amended.” 
  • Attach the new or corrected return to the back of Form 1040X.
Form 1040X Instructions https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040x.pdf   

View solution in original post

This widget could not be displayed.
Privacy Settings