You cannot amend your return until the amendment form (1040X for Federal) is available which is sometime in mid to late February. You should also wait to amend your return until your original return has been fully processed. Amended returns must be mailed, they cannot be e-filed.
To amend with the Online version, Sign back into your return, Scroll down to Your tax return & documents (you may need to select Show), select 2019 and then Amend (change) return.
To amend your 2019 return in the TurboTax CD/Download software:
- Open the return you want to amend in your TurboTax software program.
- Make sure your return is exactly as it was when you originally filed it.
- If you made changes after you filed, undo them. We suggest comparing your on screen numbers with a paper copy of your filed return.
- Now, make an "amend" copy your return by selecting Save As (Mac: select Duplicate) from the File menu. This preserves the originally-filed return.
- Name the copy to distinguish it from the original, like 2019 Amended Smith B Form 1040 Return.
- You should now be working inside the copy you'll be amending. Inside your program, search for amend and then click the Jump to link.
- Select Continue on the We'll help you change (amend) your return screen.
- On the following screen, Did you already file your return? select Yes, I've already filed my return and then select I need to amend my 2019 return. Select Continue and then carefully follow the instructions to amend.
- Don't worry if your refund meter drops to 0; this is normal. Your calculations will come out correctly in the end.
- When finished, we'll provide instructions for mailing your amended return, as amendments cannot be e-filed.
3 weeks after mailing your amended federal return, you can start tracking it at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? site. Allow at least 16 weeks for the IRS to process your amended return.
Processing times for amended state returns vary from state to state. If it's been more than 12 weeks since you mailed your amended state return, and you haven't heard anything, we suggest you contact your state tax agency.
There's a spot when you're doing your taxes through TurboTax didn't ask for any other tax papers that you need to be filed well it's not specific and I put 2014 Zin it doesn't ask for 2019 only so I thought I could put my 2014 in there and I can't obviously it messed me all up so I think you should reword that part of your files
No I don't know what I'm reading or if it's just a machine saying that there's a spot in the 2019 tax returns through TurboTax that asked if there's any other tax papers that need to be filed it doesn't ask specifically for 2019 taxes
Ok there's a glitch in your matrix and there's nobody there to talk to you you're not hearing what I'm saying so you just not really not a person I'm talking to you need to fix your tax return thing and change some wording right there it's it's misinforming I don't blame who ever it is that fixes it for me the person that wrote the program just forgot a couple words but that's not my fault either
@AdamAtondo You are posting to a user forum. This is not live chat. You posted three times but have not clearly explained your problem. You say something about 2014---did you include 2014 income on a 2019 tax return? If so that was a mistake. Each tax year must be prepared separately using the forms and software that are specific to the tax year in which the income was received. If you forgot or did not file a return for 2014, it is too late to get a tax refund for 2014.
The current online software is only for a 2019 return. You have not told us whether you filed the return. Did you e-file it? Was it accepted? Or did you mail it? No one else can fix your mistake for you. No one else has access to your return. We cannot see it. We need a clearer understanding of exactly what you did so we can tell you what to do next.