Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How can I find out if my injured spouse claim was applied to my case. I mailed it in after my taxes were filed

70!?!? Wishful thinking. At least 85...they'll wheel you into a cubicle in a hospice bed!

How can I find out if my injured spouse claim was applied to my case. I mailed it in after my taxes were filed

Very true.  What a great American dream!😂

I was checking on my injured spouse form

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

You are commenting on an older thread that may contain outdated information.  Do you have a specific question we can assist you with?

@Rayice44  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Blondi

I called 1 [phone number removed]  and didn't dial any options and it put me through to an agent.  They were able to verify they had not received my innocent spouse relief form.   They told me to fax it to [phone number removed] and wait a week to follow up.

I filed my taxes and did the injured spouse form with it and I got my taxes and only got a certain amount and that’s how I knew something wasn’t right. Either my form wasn’t excepted or my tax preparer didn’t submit it (it didn’t show as a filed form on my return so she didn’t submit it) with my tax return so I sent in another one because my husband called child support and they got all my money and they hold for 6mths before distributing it to the child/mother. So I’m waiting to get my other portion. 

@thomaslaura484 You do not say how long ago you sent in the injured spouse form.   And it is okay to send it in after filing the original return, so that was all right.  But it takes several months (or longer) for the IRS to process an injured spouse form, so you may just have to be vey patient.   TurboTax will not know when the IRS processes it.  Only the IRS can tell you.  

To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I know this is really old and probably won't get seen but how long after you noticed your 971 did you receive your refund?

I saw this question and it brought back headaches from like 5 years ago! So if you submitted your taxes then afterwards submitted that injured spouse form, it then takes the (if memory serves me) IRS at least a month or so to review/approve/any it.

Good luck!

Wolfeyes
Returning Member

I looked back at my transcripts, and it looks like about 3 weeks, give or take.  I've filed injured spouse for 4 years now, and it has never taken as long as it did the first year.  Of course, that was 2020 and covid, and the stimulus checks were involved, so I'm sure that had something to do with it.  The next few years were about 10-12 weeks.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

The IRS is taking much longer to process items like the injured spouse.  It's a waiting game and it's not likely you can speed their procedures, however see one avenue below.  

You can try reaching out the the Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) for assistance.

@Wolfeyes 

@jreading1980 

@Yannismom5 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I had one of those TAS advocates assigned to me. Not much value there.  The problem resolved itself and then a few days later the advocate called to let me know it was resolved. That was all they did - let me know my problem was resolved even though I found that out a few days before.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies