Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can i change payment method after filing, the card used when i file got lost and received a replacement one?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

24 Replies
ModestaL

How can i change payment method after filing, the card used when i file got lost and received a replacement one?

What did you have to pay (IRS taxes due, State taxes due)? If you have to pay State taxes, what State do you live in?

IRS taxes due
ModestaL

Okay, see answer below.
ModestaL

If you have already e-filed you can't change your payment method through TurboTax. However, you can call the IRS Payment Services at 1-888-353-4537 to inquire about your payment and request to change the payment method. You can also pay your Federal balance with your credit or debit card on their website.

Here's a link to the IRS website for more information about payments: https://www.irs.gov/payments

Is there a penalty/fee or anything if your original payment method (the one listed on your tax return) is closed, even if you have already paid your tax liability on the IRS website in advance?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

As long as you have paid your tax liability, you should not have any issues.

You can also refer to the following link for an updated status on your account.

View your IRS account

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I lost my account I want to change my payment method

Jballi07

I closed my back account I used last year when u filed my taxes.  How do I update it? I have a new account and address?

@Jballi07 wrote:

I closed my back account I used last year when u filed my taxes.  How do I update it? I have a new account and address?

Once a tax return has been filed you cannot change the bank information for a direct deposit.  If the bank information is not correct the bank will reject the tax refund and send the refund back to the IRS.  The IRS will send the refund as a check in the mail to the address on the tax return.

If you have not filed your tax return, in the File section of the program on Step 2 you can change the bank routing and account information.

How can i change my payment method on IRS file 

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

After your tax return is filed, you cannot change the bank information for a direct deposit.  If the bank information is not correct the bank will send the refund back to the IRS.  The IRS will then issue a check and mail it to the address on the tax return.

You can try calling the IRS Payment Services at 1-888-353-4537 to inquire about your payment and request to change the payment method. 

Minorse25

The bank account I use as my payment method is closed I want to change it 

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please refer to the following article below to change your refund method. Please note, if you already filed, you cannot change your refund method. The IRS will issue a paper check mailed to your address on file.

How do I change my refund method? - TurboTax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
SQ4678

How do I change my payment has been closed and I moved [removed address]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies