Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tara96321

My refund was put into the someone else's account. what do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies
CarolynB

HI. I am so sorry this is happening. While the IRS has no rule that says a refund cannot be deposited into an account without your name on it, most banks have fraud prevention measures in place that will not allow this. If your refund went into another person's account and the bank did not reject it you will have to work directly with the bank. Here is what the IRS has to say:

"You incorrectly enter an account or routing number that belongs to someone else and your designated financial institution accepts the deposit. You must work directly with the respective financial institution to recover your funds. See the last solution bullet below."

"If funds aren't available or the bank refuses to return the funds, the IRS cannot compel the bank to do so. The case may then become a civil matter between you and the financial institution and/or the owner of the account into which the funds were deposited."

Please see this IRS article for more information:

https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/tools-faqs/faqs-for-individuals/frequently-asked-tax-questions-an...

Jasminek37
Returning Member

My refund was sent somewhere else 

@Jasminek37 How do you know that?  What information do you have that tells you that your refund went "somewhere else?"  Did you enter your bank's routing number or your account number incorrectly?  Did you try to have it deposited in someone else's account?  Did you choose to have the TurboTax fees deducted from your federal refund?  If so, it goes first to a third party bank and then to you.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

This just happened to me!! I had the correct routing number, but the account number was 2 numbers off! I’m praying they bank to where it was sent too don’t accept it. Lord please. Can’t get the bank or its on the phone to resolve this

Banking information for direct deposit is wrong

If you entered incorrect banking information for your refund, you can change it if your return is rejected.  If it is accepted, however, it is too late to change it.  The bank will reject the refund and send it back to the IRS.  Then the IRS will issue a paper check and mail it to the address you put on your tax return.  Expect a delay of at least a couple of weeks to receive your refund.

Here is what the IRS says about entering incorrect banking information

https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/tools-faqs/faqs-for-individuals/frequently-asked-tax-questions-an...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@Lisa g89  I’ve actually received someone else’s refund, both federal and state.  I feel so bad for whomever it belongs to and want to get it returned as quickly as possible as these are tough times for many. Lisa, what was the exact amount you were expecting to be refunded and which state do you file in?  

Amcole86
Returning Member

My mom state and federal just went into someone’s account in virginia and she just found out her stimulus check is heading to the same acct. If anyone has ever dealt with this and has a solution please help! 

Hell I am in located in NJ & the about was 3243 & 1,200 from the stimulus check

@Amcole86  I would call the bank an give them the account that you have them when filing her taxes. 
The good thing about my situation was, I called the bank and they claim the number I used wasn’t a valid account number. So it go sent back to the irs, now I’m waiting for them to issue me a check 

luckygoddess16
Returning Member

What day did you receive the money an who did you uße for the direct deposit

I want my refund to be deposit into a different account  linked to my Mint 

@Edwardhulse11

Did you already e-file?  If you did NOT e-file you can go to the FILE section and change how you want to receive your refund.  If you want direct deposit you need the routing number and your own account number.

You cannot  change banking information while your return is in pending, nor can you change it after the return is accepted.  The IRS does not allow it.

If you e-filed:

Banking information for direct deposit is wrong

If you entered incorrect banking information for your refund, you can change it if your return is rejected.  If it is accepted, however, it is too late to change it.  The bank will reject the refund and send it back to the IRS.  Then the IRS will issue a paper check and mail it to the address you put on your tax return.  Expect a delay of at least a couple of weeks to receive your refund.

Here is what the IRS says about entering incorrect banking information

My son had this happen to him, he filed with turbotax and didn't double check the routing or the checking account even though he had filed using them last year and everything should have been correct on here, and now we are having to jump through hoops to try and get his return back because no one wants to help you when it comes right down to it!  Very frustrating.  

One of my state refunds got put into my bank while the other got put into turbotax's bank. Federal is still being held.  But they all have the same account to deposit it in. Wtf?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies