turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dshilkret

How do I delete 2 amended returns not yet filed so that I get back to original filing.

This is a technical question about Turbo Tax process not advice on taxes

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaR

How do I delete 2 amended returns not yet filed so that I get back to original filing.

Here is a TurboTax FAQ with step-by-step directions to "unamend" the return. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4170678

Or you can delete the 1040X form to remove the amend status of the return and also delete any forms which were added during the amend, such as a W-2 or a 1099.

·         To delete a Form go the far left, in the black vertical menu

·         Click on Tax Tools

·         Click on Tools

·         Under Other helpful links, click on Delete a form

·         Scroll down to form 1040X and click on Delete

·         Click on the blue Delete Selected Form

·         At bottom Continue

·         At bottom Continue with my Return

You will need to make sure they have undone what has taken place during the amend process, as those changes will stay in the return.  Deleting the 1040X or Un-Amending will not roll back any changes which took place while the return was in an amend state. If you have previously filed and have a copy of your 1040, you can use preview 1040 to double check to be sure it is back to normal. 

To preview the information on your 1040 form

·         Sign In  to your return

·         On the left, go to the black vertical menu and click on Tax Tools

·         Select Tools

·         Then select View Tax Summary, first on the list under Helpful Links.  This will show basic information about the return.

·         On the right, on the black menu strip, click on Preview My 1040

·         This will show a picture of the information on the tax form and there is a vertical scroll bar on the right-hand side, to scroll down the return.

·         Your state return Tax Summary is also available on the menu.

·         Select Back on the menu to return from this screen

If you have not completed your return or did not print, you can check the refund or amount due and make sure it is the same as it was before you went into the amend process.  If it is not, you will need to think about what changes were made and undo them.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
PatriciaR

Here is a TurboTax FAQ with step-by-step directions to "unamend" the return. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4170678

Or you can delete the 1040X form to remove the amend status of the return and also delete any forms which were added during the amend, such as a W-2 or a 1099.

·         To delete a Form go the far left, in the black vertical menu

·         Click on Tax Tools

·         Click on Tools

·         Under Other helpful links, click on Delete a form

·         Scroll down to form 1040X and click on Delete

·         Click on the blue Delete Selected Form

·         At bottom Continue

·         At bottom Continue with my Return

You will need to make sure they have undone what has taken place during the amend process, as those changes will stay in the return.  Deleting the 1040X or Un-Amending will not roll back any changes which took place while the return was in an amend state. If you have previously filed and have a copy of your 1040, you can use preview 1040 to double check to be sure it is back to normal. 

To preview the information on your 1040 form

·         Sign In  to your return

·         On the left, go to the black vertical menu and click on Tax Tools

·         Select Tools

·         Then select View Tax Summary, first on the list under Helpful Links.  This will show basic information about the return.

·         On the right, on the black menu strip, click on Preview My 1040

·         This will show a picture of the information on the tax form and there is a vertical scroll bar on the right-hand side, to scroll down the return.

·         Your state return Tax Summary is also available on the menu.

·         Select Back on the menu to return from this screen

If you have not completed your return or did not print, you can check the refund or amount due and make sure it is the same as it was before you went into the amend process.  If it is not, you will need to think about what changes were made and undo them.

pregotti

so where do I get answsers to technical questions

Once you have selected to amend and have made the amended entries, you cannot go back to the original.  You will have to delete the 1040X as illustrated in this thread and then revert back to the original entries. For example, if you added a w-2 for the amend, you would delete that. If you changed a number on a tax document such as a 1099, you would manually change it back to the original. 

Tax programs used by paid preparers, instruct the preparer to make a copy of the tax return before amending. That way the original is there. 

That being said, you can always download the original 1040 you prepared to see how it appears.

see7a

I followed these steps to un-amend tax return and restored numbers correctly to the original values I submitted earlier. I am now trying to amend again and Turbo Tax is unable to add form 1040 X again after it was deleted. I get a message "We don't detect any differences between your original 2021 return and the amended return."

I am using desktop deluxe 2021 version.

Did you save the .tax2021 file before you started amending?  Try starting over by opening that file.  Or does the return still look like it did when you filed the original return?   

@dshilkret 

I have found that once you unwind an amendment in TurboTax, it gets confused and you can't get it to generate a correct 1040-X any more.

After you revise your 1040 to be what you want, you can fill out and mail Form  1040-X yourself.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies