turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello. I filed my 2023-tax-reund using the desktop program. However, I'm unable to find a copy anywhere in my computer or online. How can I find it?

My Federal return has not arrived yet even though the IRS website says they sent it on APr1st. So, this is why I need to provide the details on what I entered in my e-file return. Also, I'm wondering if there is an email address to which I can request for this information (copy of my e-filed tax-refund file)
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hello. I filed my 2023-tax-reund using the desktop program. However, I'm unable to find a copy anywhere in my computer or online. How can I find it?

Did you use Windows or Mac Desktop?  Did you save the pdf file after you filed?  The pdf and tax data files should be in your Documents then in a Turbo Tax folder.  Or search your computer for all files ending in .tax2023 or pdf.  

Find your Tax file in Windows

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/find-your-tax-data-file-tax-file-in-windows/00/...

Did you save your return?  In Windows you have to manually save, although it will ask if you want to save when you exit the program or switch to another return.

Try this......start the 2023 program.  Then go up to File-Open and see if it finds your file.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Your tax file (.tax2023) should be saved somewhere on your computer (hopefully).

Search your computer for ".tax2023". 

Did you use Windows or Mac Desktop?  Did you save the pdf file after you filed?  The pdf and tax data files should be in your Documents then in a Turbo Tax folder.  Or search your computer for all files ending in .tax2023 or pdf.  

Find your Tax file in Windows

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/find-your-tax-data-file-tax-file-in-windows/00/...

Did you save your return?  In Windows you have to manually save, although it will ask if you want to save when you exit the program or switch to another return.

Try this......start the 2023 program.  Then go up to File-Open and see if it finds your file.

Usually, the file has a name like "John Smith 2023.tax2023".  By default, it is saved in your Documents folder unless you choose another location.  Try searching for the filename extension ".tax" or ".tax2023".

No one has a backup copy of your tax file except you.

You can get a transcript of your tax return, showing what you filed, by using or creating your personal account at the IRS. 

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

I'm not sure that will help, since you know the refund amount you expect, and the IRS claim to have paid it.

If you used refund transfer, to have turbotax fees deducted from your refund, or to get your refund on a debit card, you can call SBT bank.  If they could not verify your information, they are supposed to send your refund back to the IRS, who mails you a check.

https://www.sbtpg.com/

Have you moved recently?  Is the address on your return the same place where you would want to get a check mailed if there was a problem with direct deposit?

You can start to trace your refund here.

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/refund-inquiries/refund-inquiries-0

Did you do direct deposit into your own account, or someone else's?  If you accidentally or on purpose, gave an incorrect bank account number for direct deposit, the bank should have rejected the deposit, at which point the IRS will mail a check.  But if the bank accepted the deposit even though it was not your account, then you have to talk to the bank.  The IRS won't help you if they deposited the refund into the bank account that you told them to. 

Hi,

I used Windows and I had already tried the steps you shared before actually posting my question here. I did also tried opening the 2023 program and that one was also unable to find the actual document. Additionally, I do not recall manually saving the file either...

@efrain111 wrote:

Hi,

I used Windows and I had already tried the steps you shared before actually posting my question here. I did also tried opening the 2023 program and that one was also unable to find the actual document. Additionally, I do not recall manually saving the file either...

Turbotax is not responsible for problems with your Windows computer.  The program does save the file by default, although I suppose it is possible that if you completed your return in one sitting, and then exited the program and clicked "cancel" when it asked to save, it might not.  When using the desktop version, only you have a copy of your file and you are responsible for backups.  No one else has a copy.

If you want proof of what you filed, you can get your IRS transcript.  Your account record should also discuss when payments were made, if they were adjusted or delayed.  The transcript may show the bank account number you used, but it may be hidden for security reasons.

Did you use refund transfer to pay any fees from your refund, or did you request a refund advance or to get your refund on a debit card?  That introduces an extra bank into the situation. 

Did you do any other returns?  Does the other return have the same name or initials  as you or your spouse?  There is a problem saving returns if 2 returns use the same initials, one will overwrite the other.  So you have to be sure to save the returns with names completely different to keep them apart.

Other ideas……

Check  the recycle bin and your backups.  Check in One Drive, Drop Box, etc.  It should be in your Documents then in the Turbo Tax folder.  Also if you have multiple Windows user accounts, log into each one and do the search for the *.tax2023 data file from within each one and checking the Recycle Bin in each one.

If you don't have the main .tax file you might have one that starts with a Tilde sign ~ like  "~your name.tax2023".  That file is if your computer crashes or your real file gets lost or deleted or corrupt so you can restore it.

See this post (scroll down) he found his files in the Administrator account

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/all-my-turbo-tax-information-is-missing-where-did...

Don't know if this will help any Turbo Tax users but one Quicken user found them......

What I found was that my Quicken Data files ended up in the One-drive Recycle bin. Not sure how, but I found them there.  I placed the files back onto the laptop and brought the files into Quicken and now have all my data back.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies