turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ryanhuchel
Returning Member

Having a huge issue.

I've been holding things back and feel the utmost stupidity because of it but I have not received any of my stimulus checks and I think it is due to my taxes from 2019 being rejected or because they went to an old address. I think my taxes were rejected due to putting I was single because I had no way of contacting my husband who i had been seperated with for his social. I really need help and I don't know what to do.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Having a huge issue.

Amend your 2019 return and use MFS (Married Filing Separately).  There is no requirement to put your spouse’s SSN on your return if you are MFS, only their name. 

If you filed 2020 as single, then amend that and use MFS.  If you did not file 2020, file it now.  

Use an address where you can currently be reached.  On the 2020 return, it will ask if you received stimulus checks one and two.  You can answer No to that question.  The stimulus checks will be added to your refund or deducted from taxes owed.

The third stimulus check can be claimed on your 2021 taxes next year.

Having a huge issue.

@ryanhuchel

Wait----was your 2019 return rejected or accepted?   Did you e-file it?   If the e-file was rejected then it was never filed at all.  You do not amend a rejected return.  Amending is only used as a way to correct a fully processed return that had mistakes.   if the 2019 return was rejected then it was not filed at all, and now you could make those corrections (without clicking on anything that says "amend") and print, sign and mail it in.

If your 2019 return was accepted and you just did not receive your refund, that is a different issue.  What does your account say for the 2019 return?  Does it say "accepted" or "rejected?"

One more thing----just in case.   If you are the custodial parent of the children and have lived apart from your spouse for at least the last six months of the tax year, then you can file as Head of Household for 2019 and 2020.   If there are no children involved, then you should file married filing separately---not single.    You will have to mail your 2019 return and mail your 2020 return and attach a note that says you cannot get the SSN of your spouse, since you are supposed to put a spouse's SSN on the return even when you file MFS. 

If you and your spouse filed any past tax return married filing jointly using TurboTax then you may be able to find his SSN on a past return by accessing the old account.  You can get a free transcript of a past return from the IRS but they only display the last four digits on the SSN on the transcript. 

And....the EIP payments are really based on your 2020 tax return, so you can use the recovery rebate credit on your 2020 return to get those first two stimulus amounts.   The 3rd one comes later, and in your case, you will likely need to get it on the 2021 return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies