Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amglvx

If I used Amazon and some things I bought didn't have any tax does that mean I need to fill out the Use Tax? If so how do I do it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If I used Amazon and some things I bought didn't have any tax does that mean I need to fill out the Use Tax? If so how do I do it?

Which state?  
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
amglvx

Utah

Generally, states charge Use Tax for any items that you buy out of state and bring into the state, or buy online, that you did not pay state Sales Tax on.

Depending on the state, it may ask you to estimate the dollar value of your un-taxed purchases, or it may offer a "safe harbor" amount based on your income.  (That is, they have a formula that estimates the amount of use tax you owe based on your income, and how much of their income they guess people spend on un-taxed purchases.)

You can either choose the safe harbor amount, or enter an estimated value of un-taxed purchases, and the program will calculate the tax.  If you think you had no un-taxed purchases you can claim zero.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies