Form 990-T

Form 990-T

Late October 2019 I received notification from Fidelity that form 990-T for tax year 2018 was filed on my behalf. 

Net/Net of this filing was a capital gain/business taxable income of $65K with a tax paid/deducted and sent to the IRS for a total of $12K (including a penalty and interest of).

The transaction was related to a Master Limited Partnership I held in my IRA for three years and closed out in early 2018.  I need some clarification on what to do next, if anything.

Do I need to amend my 2018 return to reflect this federal tax payment?  Do I need to address this transaction on my upcoming 2019 return?  There is a statement that says:

"This filing and excise tax payment does not impact your individual tax return"

Form 990-T

The notice told you what to do ... NOTHING ... it has nothing to do with your form 1040.   This was a return done for the IRA due to the kind of investments  you had in the account.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Form 990-T

partnerships included master limited partnerships can generate business income.  Congress decided that profit making businesses inside a tax exempt entities such as an IRA, 401K, etc,   should not escape taxation.   therefore they wrote a code section  that computes what is referred to as unrelated business taxable  income (UBTI) and imposed a tax on this if more than $1,000    tax exempt entiities like your IRA are supposed to file annual tax returns to report and pay tax on this UBTI.   This is done by the entity filing 990-T

as to whether you have a claim against Fidelity for late filing of the return or for whatever reason penalties and interest were imposed, seek legal counsel?   did you get the 1065 k-1 and fail to forward it to Fidelity? 

if you have any other MLP's in your retirement account, there could be future 990-Ts, that may need to be filed.

UBTI is reported in box 20 of K-1 

as stated none of this gets reported on your 1040.