turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kwomach
Returning Member

Filed Extension and Paid Taxes (April 2019); Filed Later (Sept 2019) but now told didn't get Credited to Account

In April 2019 , I wrote a check to the IRS on behalf of my son for his taxes owed with his form 4868.  

Unfortunately I wrote the wrong SSN on the Check.  The tax return was accepted on September 8, 2019.  Now in October the IRS is saying he owes the original amount plus failure to file and failure to pay penalty plus interest charges.  What do we do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Filed Extension and Paid Taxes (April 2019); Filed Later (Sept 2019) but now told didn't get Credited to Account

Did the IRS cash the check, i.e. did it show up as paid in your bank account? If so, then the IRS has the money. They just didn't credit it to your son's account, because of the wrong SSN. Your son has to call the IRS to straighten it out. If your son is too young to call himself, you should be able to make the call.

If they did not cash the check, stop payment on it and pay what the IRS notice says he owes.

kwomach
Returning Member

Thanks for the reassurance, yes the IRS cashed the check in April.  We are trying to call together as he is still a teenager but an adult.

Did you put your SS# on the check ?   If so you have a credit on your account.  I would get a picture of the cancelled check, a copy of the IRS bill  & a copy of his return  and go to a local IRS office with your son to see what can be done about this situation.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies