Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Federal Income Tax Additional Withholding

Filled 2022 taxes and received a return. Received a letter from the IRS saying now we owe. When reviewing our tax form, I don’t see the FIT additional withholding applied. Our W-2 does not include the FIT additional withholding either. Does this need to be manually entered on the 1040 form and if so, which line? Would we have to file an addendum? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

"Federal Income Tax Additional Withholding" ... can you define this ?   If you had no withholding on the W-2 box 2 then where is the additional withholding coming from ?  On which line of the form 1040 was this amount listed? 

And the term is amendment not addendum ... they are not the same thing. 

Thanks for the quick response.

I receive a check every 2 weeks. I went through all 25 check stubs for 2022 and added the federal tax that were withdrawn from my employer and it adds up to the box on my W-2 form but it was my first time for 2022 to have an additional $100 withdrawn from my check every 2 weeks which would up to $2500 which is not accounted for on my W-2. My question is where should I have placed the $2500 on my 1040 form? 

ALL withholding, including the extra requested on line 4C of the W-4 form, will be reflected on the W-2 box 2.  If the employer filled in the W-2 incorrectly then they need to correct that form ... you cannot just add more because you think you can ... no wonder the IRS denied your figure.  

Does the extra $100 show up separately on your check stubs?  Or is it included in the federal tax withdrawn?  Better check with your employer how it is accounted for.  It should just be included in W2 box 2 with the regular withholding.  It isn't listed separately.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies