Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cubmanky
Returning Member

error with someone can claim

SO I did my taxes online with turbo tax.  I did not get any of the stimulus payments   The IRS said its due to me having it checked that someone can claim me as a dependent.  I looked back and at my pdf file and it has the box "Your spouse as a dependent" was checked.  we filled married but separate returns.    Have no clue on why or how that box was checked.  was this a glitch in the program.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

No, not that we're aware of.

If you were entitled to a stimulus payment but did not receive one, and you didn’t pay for TurboTax with your refund last year, you may need to claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 taxes to get your money.

Please see the following page for additional information: Why Haven’t I Received My Second Stimulus Check?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
cubmanky
Returning Member

SO i logged into amend my 2019 taxes and it has the option not checked although its checked on my pdf print.  first photo if from online and the second photo is from my pdf file of 2019 taxes

Image2.jpgImage3.jpg

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Thanks so much for the pictures. Could you please verify what happens when you log into each account, yours and your wife's and the corresponding paperwork? I am not able to get your result. You may need to clear your cookies and cache or change browsers completely.

Married filing separately should not generate dependent when not marked.

cubmanky
Returning Member

she did hers thru HR block.  this has to be a glitch in the Turbo Tax  I cant amend it because its already un checked on the software.  I have been trying to call the IRS for over 2 weeks now and keep getting cant take my call du to high call volumes  I'm about ready to talk to a lawyer.  Last time I use Turbo Tax.  

AmyC
Expert Alumni

We are not able to duplicate your situation. Please fill this form out for someone to call you.

Don't try to amend 2019 for that.  Don't worry about 2019 for the Stimulus payment.

The Stimulus Checks are really based on your 2020 return we are filing in 2021.  So any amount you already got will be reconciled on your 2020 return line 30.  If you didn't get a Stimulus Check (and qualify) or you qualify for more it will be added to your 2020 return.  But the good news is if they paid you too much they won't take it back.

When you go through the federal review tab it will ask how much you got if any.  Or to enter your stimulus payment in TurboTax, type "stimulus" (without the quotes) in the Search box, then click the link that says "Jump to stimulus."

After you have entered your tax information and are ready for the Federal Review, it will be the first question.

If you are trying to trigger it, you can go to Other Situations, answer any questions and click Done. The next automatic selection is Federal Review and it will ask about payments received.

And yes there is a Turbo Tax problem.  

Turbo Tax is investigating this issue, sign up here

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/spouse-claimed-as-a-dependent-box-checked-on-2019-...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies