Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

E Filing rejected: Schedule E doe not allow negative amount

I just E file and got rejected and I would appreciate some step by step instructions to fix the issue.  Below are the information I gathered after rejected.  Please help!

+++++++++++++++

In TurboTax Action Needed email, under What Happend, it said:

/Return/ReturnData/IRS1040ScheduleE/BusTotalNonpassiveIncomeAmt - Data in the return is missing or invalid. Please double check your entries. 

In TurboTax, under Check E-file Status, Review Again, it has the following message:

++++++++++++
Data in the return is missing or invalid. Please double check your entries. 

Review information related to Schedule E, Supplemental Income and Loss.  Review all negative amounts for accuracy.  There are several amounts on Schedule E for which the IRS does not allow negative values. 

Make the appropriate changes and re-submit their return electronically.  If the reject continues, you need to print and file this return via U.S. Mail.
+++++++++++

I also saw the suggestion in How to Fix My Rejected Return that I should see the following after I signed in to my account, but I did not see it.
Select Fix my return to see your reject code and explanation.

Many thanks in advance for your kind help!

Howard

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

The message shows to check your nonpassive income. Was this from a k-1? Is this a rental house? Did you list your income? Review your sch E for missing entries.

You show 1"040ScheduleE/BusTotalNonpassiveIncomeAmt - Data in the return is missing or invalid."

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
tjuana1

I'm seeing this error too.  Tried to fix it and re-submit twice, but it isn't working.  I have a rental property which TurboTax says requires a Schedule E, any idea which field needs to be fixed?

/Return/ReturnData/IRS1040ScheduleE/BusTotalNonpassiveIncomeAmt - Data in the return is missing or invalid. Please double check your entries.
tjuana1

Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 3.53.15 PM.png

This is the additional information when I go to TurboTax and click "Check E-file Status".  This wasn't caught by SmartCheck and I've gone over that section over and over without finding anything wrong 😢

tjuana1

I figured it out by looking through the PDF.  Would be nice if this was caught by Smart Check

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies