turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do state or federal tax e-file (direct deposit) refunds get posted to the bank account at midnight on the day it's supposed to be available?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

57 Replies
CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Do state or federal tax e-file (direct deposit) refunds get posted to the bank account at midnight on the day it's supposed to be available?

This would depend on your bank. Some banks post deposits at midnight, others do not post deposits until the bank is open. 

Also depending on your bank, it can be 1-5 days processing time from when the IRS or state states the refund has been sent. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Lokdog25

I did my taxes this year and I changed my direct deposit information from one closed account to another account that is active will my tax refund check hit my active account?

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

How did you change the bank account numbers and are you saying you changed it via Turbo Tax online?

I have searched for the answer to the actual question and have yet to find it. Every answer explains that it depends on your financial institutions policy. I know my banks policy, however I would like to know the time(not the date or day of week) that the IRS actually does the direct deposit into peoples accounts? Is it Midnight, 5am, all times of day rather then a set time...? 

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

The IRS sends the deposit over to your financial institution with a set date for it to be deposited. Think of it like if you have your paycheck direct deposited. If your employer sends it with a date on the check for 02/25/2020 then it will be posted to your account based on your bank's guidelines. Some banks will have it showing that day at midnight, while others place a 3 day hold on the deposit. You would base it on the financial institution you bank with. 

Lokdog25

Yes I changed it on TurboTax online when I did my tax return 1040EZ this year and I changed it from metabank to green Dot bank when I got to the page that we can choose direct deposit or paper check

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

Yes, if you updated your bank account information prior to submitting your return, the funds will deposit the bank account number you entered. 

If you already e-filed - this information is printed right on your return. To find this information please log into your account and select download/print return and a pdf copy will open up on your computer and you can review/print your forms for the information. (For example. Form 1040 the information regarding your refund is on lines 75-77 and direct deposit is on line 76. a-d). 

If you have not already e-filed- then you can go to the File section of TurboTax Online and you will see your banking information in Step 2 that you can review. At that point, you'll be able to review, Edit or update your banking information for direct deposit before e-filing your return.

For additional information on direct deposit please see the following TurboTax FAQ: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302459

I'm scheduled to receive my tax refund on February 26, 2020 at what time should I expect my refund if I did direct deposit l.

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

We can't give you an exact time and neither can the IRS.  

According to the IRS website, "It takes additional time for refunds to be processed after leaving the IRS, and for financial institutions to accept and deposit them to bank accounts and products like debit cards.  Also, many financial institutions do not process payments on weekends or holidays, which can affect when refunds reach taxpayers."

Reference:  IRS.gov - Refund Timing

I have the turbo tax green dot card I have a deposit date for the 26th will it come at midnight? 

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

We cannot tell you for sure when the money will be added. We are not connected to the account or have that information. Keep checking back and you are one step closer. You have a deposit date!

I too have a deposit date of Feb 26th, and have PNC bank, this is my first year having it direct deposited at PNC , does anyone know if it will be in my account tomorrow? Any comments are greatly appreciated TIA!!!

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

This will all depend on the banking institution. Keep in mind some banks will take a day or two to actually process the refund into your account.

Mine is too and it’s 12am I have Bank of America and I have not received it yet

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies