Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I forgot to put my W-2 in the envelope when i mailed my taxes. the only thing thats in there is my 1040 (540 for state, in separate envelope). can i just print and remail

when mailing my tax returns, i only put my 1040 and 540 in their respective envelopes and forgot to put the one thing they needed from me most, my W-2s. its been about 3 weeks since theyve been mailed. i was wondering, since i have a copy of my 1040 and 540 on my computer, couldnt i just reprint them and file correctly this time? i know that when the irs receives my letter with no W-2s in it, theyll send it back. but i wanted to know if it would be smarter to just refile instead of waiting x amount of weeks to get a useless letter back only to resend it. again, i have my W-2s on hand so it would be easy for me to just reprint my 1040 and 540 and file correctly. i just wanted to know if this is the right thing to do.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

I forgot to put my W-2 in the envelope when i mailed my taxes. the only thing thats in there is my 1040 (540 for state, in separate envelope). can i just print and remail

Do not re-mail your tax return.  What you should do is wait to see if the IRS contacts you and asks you to send a copy of your W-2.  They may or may not.  The information on your W-2 was also reported to the IRS, so if everything on yourreturn matches IRS records, they may process and never contact you. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

No.  Wait to hear from them.
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Do not re-mail your tax return.  What you should do is wait to see if the IRS contacts you and asks you to send a copy of your W-2.  They may or may not.  The information on your W-2 was also reported to the IRS, so if everything on yourreturn matches IRS records, they may process and never contact you. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies