Solved: Do I need to file a specific form with my 2017 tax return if I repaid in full my 2008 homebuyer credit with my 2016 tax return?

Do I need to file a specific form with my 2017 tax return if I repaid in full my 2008 homebuyer credit with my 2016 tax return?

You do not need to file a specific form if you have fully repaid the 2008 First-Time Homebuyer Credit.  However, some customers receive a rejection of their tax return for not including the repayment when it has been paid in full.  The IRS may not have properly updated its records and believes (based on their info) that Form 5405 with a payment is due for 2017. 

You can look up your account at this link to see if the IRS is showing any balance:  https://www.irs.gov/individuals/first-time-homebuyer-credit-account-look-up

If you receive a rejection or if you see a balance due in the link above, you will need to paper file your return this year.  Attach a copy of your return for the year the credit was repaid, to show that you properly filed in that year Additionally, you will need to contact the IRS directly to have them correct their records so you don't encounter this same issue next year.