chase32003

Do I need to file a 1040X if I have already filed my taxes, but forgot to file a 1099-DIV in addition to filing at 1099-DIV?

Texas Roger

You will need to amend your return to add a 1099-DIV that was not included on your original return.

If your return is rejected by the IRS, you can correct the problem and fix the reason for rejection and re-efile your return. If your return is accepted by the IRS, you must prepare, print, sign and mail an amended tax return form 1040X to correct the problem. 

DO NOT change your original tax return until you start the amended return. If you have already changed it from the way it was originally filed and accepted, you must change it back before you start the amended return. Wait until you receive the refund from your original return before beginning your amended return to make sure you enter the correct amount. An amended return cannot be efiled. Here is an FAQ to help you:                                                                  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

Texas Roger