Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jennig73

Do I need to amend my tax return. I filed before the tax break for unemployment. I made 16000 in unemployment with taxes withheld. And I believe this will change my EIC?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Do I need to amend my tax return. I filed before the tax break for unemployment. I made 16000 in unemployment with taxes withheld. And I believe this will change my EIC?

It depends. Generally, you are advised to not amend your return if you qualify for the unemployment exclusion. However, if excluding unemployment make you eligible for additional federal credits and deductions not already included on the original tax return, then you should amend your return. 

For example, the IRS can adjust returns for those taxpayers who claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and, because the exclusion changed the income level, may now be eligible for an increase in the EITC amount which may result in a larger refund. However, taxpayers would have to file an amended return if they did not originally claim the EITC or other credits but now are eligible because the exclusion changed their income.

You can read the IRS article here

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
graysoncameron
Returning Member

I believe I made a mistake on my state tax. Could you please help me! Thank you.

Did you file state?  What do you think you did wrong?

graysoncameron
Returning Member

I believe I made a mistake on my state tax. Could you please help me! Thank you.

How do I go about talking live to a representative? 

graysoncameron
Returning Member

First it told me I was getting 702.00 back then it said 0 return. What do I need to do?

graysoncameron
Returning Member

In ny1099-R

Line 14 state tax withheld 702.00

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies