Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

siha96

Do I need to amend my federal return in order to get the unemployment tax break?

I haven't heard anything from the IRS, and when I check the tool to see the status of my return it says it's unavailable. I have filed my amended state return but I don't know if I should file my federal. It tried to e-file it when I printed out my state taxes but it keeps rejecting, so I don't know what do. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Do I need to amend my federal return in order to get the unemployment tax break?

If you have filed, the IRS will recalculate your return for the new unemployment exemption for you. There is no need for taxpayers to file an amended return unless the calculations make the taxpayer newly eligible for additional federal credits and deductions not already included on the original tax return.

See this new IRS announcement May 14, 2021
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-begins-correcting-tax-returns-for-unemployment-compensation-income-...

You can log back in or open your return and it should automatically update your return and show you the new refund. But the updated return won't be sent. The IRS will adjust it for you. You may need to update the Desktop program for it.

AnnaOh85
Returning Member

Ok, so what do you mean go to the website, TurboTax or IRS? I filed and got my return in February, almost all my income was unemployment that I chose to tax because PA doesn't automatically tax it. I claimed my 2 kids, some people said if the refund amount hasn't already changed, it won't.  But I do not see how I couldn't be eligible for an extra refund 🤷🤦

siha96

I've tried to update it multiple times but it still says rejected. It's not the fact that the TurboTax system won't tell me how much it's going to be it's just rejecting the return. And I still haven't heard anything from the IRS about my federal return. So I'm wondering if I should e-file my federal return separately or just not do anything? Cause they said I should've heard something by now cause I'm single and don't have kids but I haven't heard anything.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies