Solved: Corrected W-2 for local taxes

AGSL

Corrected W-2 for local taxes

I efiled my Federal taxes and then discovered a mistake on my W-2. I now have a corrected W-2 from my employer, the correction only effects my local taxes. Do I need to file amended federal taxes? I don't think the updated local info effects my federal taxes at all, but not sure if IRS will expect a amended filing when they see the corrected W-2.

ToddL99

Corrected W-2 for local taxes

Amending your federal tax return over an error in local taxes is unnecessary, unless the change in local taxes affects your itemized deduction for state and local taxes.

The IRS will only follow-up on corrected W-2s if the changes affect your federal tax. 

You might want to go through the "amend a return" process to update/amend your state return, since that is often where your local tax return information is reported. Depending on what changes were made to your W-2, there may be a need to amend your state return

See How do I amend my 2020 return?

ToddL99

Corrected W-2 for local taxes

See How do I amend my 2020 return?