Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

AGSL
Level 1

Corrected W-2 for local taxes

I efiled my Federal taxes and then discovered a mistake on my W-2. I now have a corrected W-2 from my employer, the correction only effects my local taxes. Do I need to file amended federal taxes? I don't think the updated local info effects my federal taxes at all, but not sure if IRS will expect a amended filing when they see the corrected W-2.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Amending your federal tax return over an error in local taxes is unnecessary, unless the change in local taxes affects your itemized deduction for state and local taxes.

The IRS will only follow-up on corrected W-2s if the changes affect your federal tax. 

You might want to go through the "amend a return" process to update/amend your state return, since that is often where your local tax return information is reported. Depending on what changes were made to your W-2, there may be a need to amend your state return

See How do I amend my 2020 return?

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Amending your federal tax return over an error in local taxes is unnecessary, unless the change in local taxes affects your itemized deduction for state and local taxes.

The IRS will only follow-up on corrected W-2s if the changes affect your federal tax. 

You might want to go through the "amend a return" process to update/amend your state return, since that is often where your local tax return information is reported. Depending on what changes were made to your W-2, there may be a need to amend your state return

See How do I amend my 2020 return?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies