vinniboy

Claiming dependents after receiving SSN

I filed my 2020 and 2021 returns without claiming my child as dependent. Just last week, we got their SSN card. Can I amend my current and last year returns and claim her as dependent? 

Claiming dependents after receiving SSN

You can, but the PATH Act made several changes to the tax law, including preventing retroactive claims of the EITC and CTC by amending a return or filing an original return for any earlier year in which the individual or anyone listed on the return did not have a SSN valid for employment.  You can't claim EITC or CTC unless the Social Security number for you, your spouse (if married filing a joint return) or a qualifying child is issued before the due date of the return including any valid extensions.

vinniboy

Claiming dependents after receiving SSN

Thank you  - so essentially, I can't take CTC using SSN and amend my already submitted return for 2021 (given I have not asked for extension and filing date is already past due)?  

And I anyways cant amend 2020 return to claim any CTC benefits with PATH act. 

Claiming dependents after receiving SSN

Sorry ... but if you  claimed  them on the original returns using an ITIN then amending with a SS# is useless now.

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing