turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

AmyHutch

claim medical expenses

Hi, I filed my taxes last week and I forgot to claim that I paid about 1200 dollars after insurance for a surgery I had. Am I able to claim this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

claim medical expenses

Did you have other itemized deductions that exceeded your standard deduction--or came close to it?

MEDICAL EXPENSES

The medical expense deduction has to meet a rather large threshold before it can affect your return. The amount of medical (including dental, vision, etc.)  expenses that will count toward itemization is the amount that is OVER 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. You should only enter the amount that you paid in 2020—do not include any amounts that were covered by insurance or that are still outstanding.  Of course, your medical expenses plus your other itemized deductions still have to exceed your standard deduction before you will see a difference in your tax due or refund.

To enter your medical expenses go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Medical>Medical Expense

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
AmyHutch

claim medical expenses

Hi, thanks so much for getting back to me....that really helps. I have to pay State more than I ever have and not getting as much back from Federal so I am just worried that I didn't  add something I was supposed to or forget anything important. Do you know if we got taxed on the first stimulus check we received last April?

claim medical expenses

@AmyHutch Stimulus checks are not taxable at all.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

claim medical expenses

@AmyHutch Not sure if this will help you but just in case,,,,,

Many people had lower incomes during the pandemic in 2020 due to reduced work hours, layoffs, etc.  Or they received unemployment benefits.   These factors affect how much earned income credit and additional child tax credit you can get on your 2020 tax return and affect your 2020 refund.

There is a “lookback” option that allows you to use your 2019 amounts for earned income credit or child tax credit.   You can choose whether to use your 2019 amount or your 2020 amount.  Choose whichever amount gives you a better tax refund for your 2020 refund.

You can see this and choose in the earned income credit section  in Deductions and Credits. 

You still MUST enter all of your 2020 income into your 2020 tax return, including any unemployment you received.

Please follow these steps in TurboTax:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on the Search box on the top and type "EIC"
  3. Click on “Jump to EIC”
  4. Answer the questions until you reach the screen "Do you want to use last year’s earned income?"
  5. Note your current refund amount using your 2020 earned income at the top of the screen.
  6. Click "Yes", enter your "2019 Earned Income" if the field is blank and click "continue".
  7. Compare the new refund amount using your 2019 earned income with the previously noted refund amount using your 2020 earned income.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies