Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Charged to File

I recently filed with Turbo Tax online for the first time. I was just told by some co-workers that I shouldn't have been charged for both W-2 forms and then a service fee. Overall paying about $160. Apparently when you make under a certain amount its free. How do I go about this getting refunded back because that's ridiculous that it doesn't hault you from paying when it generates your Annual Gross Income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Charged to File

It is not based on income, it is based on what type of forms you are filing and what options you are selecting. 

Not everyone qualifies for free filing.  Free filing is only for simple returns.  

Situations covered (assuming no added tax complexity):

• W-2 income
  • Interest or dividends (1099-INT/1099-DIV) that don’t require filing a Schedule B
  • IRS standard deduction
  • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
  • Child Tax Credit (CTC)
  • Student loan interest deduction

Situations not covered:

• Itemized deductions claimed on Schedule A
  • Unemployment income reported on a 1099-G
  • Business or 1099-NEC income
  • Stock sales (including crypto investments)
  • Rental property income
  • Credits, deductions and income reported on other forms or schedules

If you don’t have a Form 1040 return with limited credits, we have other paid options to file using TurboTax.

How does TurboTax make any money?

We want our customers to love our products and services. Because we have customers who pay for our premium products and services, we can offer free tax filing. We offer additional paid benefits that go beyond filing your Form 1040 return with limited credits for free, but they're optional.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Charged to File

I had 2 simple W2 forms that I filed and only federal taxes. So how am I charged? 

JulieS
Expert Alumni

Charged to File

Yes, TurboTax is free for many people, but it depends on whether you qualify for the Free version. 

If you have a Form 1040 return and are claiming limited credits only, you can file for free yourself with TurboTax Free Edition or TurboTax Live Assisted Basic (if available), or you can file with TurboTax Full Service at the listed price.

Situations covered (assuming no added tax complexity):

• W-2 income
  • Interest or dividends (1099-INT/1099-DIV) that don’t require filing a Schedule B
  • IRS standard deduction
  • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
  • Child Tax Credit (CTC)
  • Student loan interest deduction

Situations not covered:

• Itemized deductions claimed on Schedule A
  • Unemployment income reported on a 1099-G
  • Business or 1099-NEC income
  • Stock sales (including crypto investments)
  • Rental property income
  • Credits, deductions and income reported on other forms or schedules
  • Refund advance fees

There is also a free Military version that allows most military servicemembers to file for free.

If you still aren't sure why you are being charged, check your fees in the beginning of the File & Pay section in the program. 

Charged to File

I understand what is being said however I do qualify for the free file. Is there a number to call to speak with someone?

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Charged to File

Use the information in the following TurboTax help article to learn how to contact TurboTax by phone:

How do I contact TurboTax?

@powerstix2 

Charged to File

There are companies that let you file for free based on your income.  TurboTax is not one of them.  If you start for free and then enter something that requires you to pay TurboTax tells you that you need to upgrade to continue.  If you upgrade you pay.  If you do not want to pay then use a different company next time.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-free-file-is-now-available-for-the-2023-filing-season

mskisher

Charged to File

I don't know why I'm even feeling this out cuz no one ever answers my questions use it for seven or eight years last year I was charged $47 this year $129 why I'm a retired person on a fixed income I shouldn't have to pay when I didn't pay for all those years you use false advertising

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Charged to File

Did your return require a higher version of TurboTax to complete?

To see your fees, go to: Tax Tools and Tools. These are down the left side of the screen in a black border.  Follow these directions.  

1. Down the left side of TurboTax, click on Tax Tools. 
  2. Click on Tools. 
  3. Click on My Fees in the center of the screen. 
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies