turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

brownrpnj

Can I retrieve a lost license access code?

How do I find a lost license access code?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

23 Replies
BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

If you cannot find your access code, please click here to contact us.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mbnicholson
Returning Member

Hi,  I had installed my TT Premier 2020 CD on my PC and this laptop.  I had entered everything into the PC except for a K1 which we don't receive until the end of March and copied it to the laptop.  Last week, I had to turn my laptop over to our IT fellow.  He ended up having to make a whole new Win 10 installation and because of a bad SSD was not able to save anything but data files.  In the mean time we have sold our house and movers are moving us into a rental while a new house is being built.  Problem is I can't find my CD box which Amazon records show as delivered Dec 29.  Things have been pretty stressful with our selling , buying and moving.  Right now, our plans are to put the PC into storage so I need to activate the laptop.  I've used Turbo Tax for around 30 years now and usually download it.  Help with a license code would sure be appreciated.

[email address removed]

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support so they can assist you with your license code. Please visit the Contact Us page and select your product to get you to the right person.

@mbnicholson

mbnicholson
Returning Member

I'm not sure how this system works.  I thought MichelleLO earned the  "Mark as Best Answer", but I can't figure out whether she oversees this operation or she wrote the reply.  Regardless, tomorrow morning I will attempt to follow her instructions.  I feel like "Ned in the First Reader" for most likely picking it up with a pile of trash.  I figure one more trip to the dump though.  Appreciate everyone's advice and help. Take care, Mike Nicholson.

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

@mbnicholson Since you purchased the CD from Amazon, and you no longer have the box, you will need to contact our customer support team because your license code is printed on the front of the insert in your box. Since this is a public internet forum, we do not have access to that information, but our customer support agents will be happy to assist you.

Please click I can’t find my license code to learn more. 

mbnicholson
Returning Member

Hello Terukol,

I have had no luck trying to contact the customer support team.  It seems I just keep coming back to the Community.  Is there any chance you might be able to provide me with a link to the Customer Support Team?  Thank you, Mike

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to us directly at the link here.  This will direct your inquiry to the correct department.  

If that link isn't working, please try this number: (800) 624-9066

BWYCH

I loaded the disc but accidently discarded the box with the access code.

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

To help get you connected to the right person for assistance, please click the link below. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

TAXATION1

Another pleasant nuance to the act of tax preparation.  After updating to a new computer due to unsupported software, the last ten years of Turbotax transferred over but requested the original license code to activate.  Due to all of these being purchased as CD's, which are all in a landfill somewhere, no license code is available.  Turbotax's answer to this is, too bad, so sad.  Happy to be a loyal Turbotax user.

djoda
Returning Member

I had a similar situation just happen where I went to open up an existing return I had been working and it said I needed to enter the 16 character license. Up until now it just opened fine. Like you, I threw out the box last week because I got tired of the disk sitting on my desk; so no license code. I called the help line and was on hold and then got a person who said they could see I had purchased it and would refund me the amount and I could go and re-purchase and download. I would get a new application and license. I asked if it would load my data file and he couldn't guarantee it.

While online I logged into my Intuit account and started poking around. I clicked on "Products and Billing". I saw Your Products and the version I had purchased from Costco. So I clicked on it and then scrolled down to "Licenses and Downloads". It had my license code that I copied and pasted into my TurboTax space that was looking for it and it opened up.

Don't know if this will work for others, but it saved me the uncertainty that getting a new version and avoiding an issue of loading the data files. 

Evidently not. Having purchased my TT from Costco, Intuit claims they don't know my activation code (untrue) and that I'd have to get it from Costco. Costco obviously say they purposely dont have that info to avoid potential employee theft.

It never occurred to me that newer versions of the software would not open previous year's files, and that trying to recover the code would be a dead end.

Customer service at TT says "Tough luck- contact your retailer" who obviously has no record of the activation code.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Please see the following link which provides additional information and a link to contact us regarding issues with licensing codes.

Licensing code for software

@rickwilliams52

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies