turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

b124

Can I fix my return before it is accepted by Federal, or will I have to wait and amend it? I put the wrong amount of COVID stimulus received when filing my tax returns.

I received my second stimulus check in the mail after filing on turbo tax, and a W2 for about a month worth of unemployment I forgot about. I'd love to change my returns now, rather than have to file an amendment.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Can I fix my return before it is accepted by Federal, or will I have to wait and amend it? I put the wrong amount of COVID stimulus received when filing my tax returns.

If you filed, it is like dropping it into a mailbox - you cannot get it back, even if it's pending.

You'll have to wait until your return is either accepted or rejected when the IRS starts processing returns on February 12.

• If rejected, you can make any necessary changes regarding your stimulus payments.
  • If accepted, you'll need to amend your return
  • To avoid unnecessary delays, do not amend until your original return has been fully processed.  You will need to print and mail the amendment.  
  • Allow 16 weeks for processing.

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending.

It is possible the IRS will process your return without rejecting it, in which case if you cash your stimulus check they will know and should automatically adjust your Rebate Recovery Credit, but it's impossible to know for sure at this point though.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

If you filed, it is like dropping it into a mailbox - you cannot get it back, even if it's pending.

You'll have to wait until your return is either accepted or rejected when the IRS starts processing returns on February 12.

• If rejected, you can make any necessary changes regarding your stimulus payments.
  • If accepted, you'll need to amend your return
  • To avoid unnecessary delays, do not amend until your original return has been fully processed.  You will need to print and mail the amendment.  
  • Allow 16 weeks for processing.

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending.

It is possible the IRS will process your return without rejecting it, in which case if you cash your stimulus check they will know and should automatically adjust your Rebate Recovery Credit, but it's impossible to know for sure at this point though.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
b124

Thank you for the speedy reply! That helped a ton 🙂

Thank you for the help. I am dealing with a similar issue, except Turbo Tax Online allowed me to go in and correct my filing, but my Tax Home is showing the original return amount. What do I do in this case? You describe it a dropping off the return at a mailbox, so I guess my situation is me having fished out my return from the mailbox and trying to modify the return. I post more information on my post here. You say that the only resolution is to wait it out, but is there an alternative to that? I, like many others, can't afford to wait an extra 16 weeks. I can barely wait until Mar7 like is the current estimate if I understand the system correctly. Any help to facilitate the resolution of this issue would be greatly appreciated.

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, at this time, the IRS does not have a strategy. I don't know if the situation has even hit their radar.

Information is continuing to be updated. Please see this LINK for more information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies