Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I file 2020 taxes if I have already filed for 2021 taxes? If so do I have to amend my 2021 to file 2020?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can I file 2020 taxes if I have already filed for 2021 taxes? If so do I have to amend my 2021 to file 2020?

No, you do not have to amend the 2021 tax return if you file the 2020 tax return after the 2021 tax return is filed, in most cases.  Only if you have carryovers from the 2020 tax return, which is not usual, would you need to amend the 2021 return for the carryovers.

To complete and file a 2020 tax return using TurboTax you would need to purchase, download and install on a personal computer one of the 2020 desktop editions from this website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

A 2020 tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.

Thank you for your response. An may I ask do I have to file with who I filed with this year or could I file with someone else. Not sure what to do i am new to this still

@hooch3131 wrote:

Thank you for your response. An may I ask do I have to file with who I filed with this year or could I file with someone else. Not sure what to do i am new to this still

You can file the 2020 tax return with anyone you choose.  There is no requirement that you use TurboTax for the 2020 tax return just because you used then for the 2021 tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies