Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I e-file an amended tax return for 2019 with TurboTax if I filed my 2019 tax return using a different software?

Per a customer service representative for my original tax software, they are unable to e-file amended tax returns for the 2019 tax year. However, it looks like TurboTax is able to do this based off their website.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Can I e-file an amended tax return for 2019 with TurboTax if I filed my 2019 tax return using a different software?

Please see the Help Article here for further assistance.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Turbotax could e-file amended returns when the IRS had the e-filing system open.  Since they closed it on October 20, nothing can be e-filed including amended returns.  What we don't know (because e-filing amended returns is new this year) is if you will be able to e-file an amended 2019 return when the 2020 e-filing season opens on January 27, 2021.  For now, you can file by mail or wait and see if e-filing will be allowed in January. 

Even if TTX allows e-filing 2019 amendments later, once software opens back up again....I'm not sure we really know if TTX will allow you to e-file your amendment......since you filed your 2019 taxes elsewhere...

1)  You would need the 2019 desktop software

2)  You would first need to re-create "EXACTLY" what you originally filed elsewhere.

3) Then you pretend to mail file it  with the desktop software (since 2019 can't be e-filed anymore.....and since you've already filed elsewhere) ...and then only then run thru the Amend process to make your changes.

BUT I haven't seen anywhere that TTX would ever allow e-filing the amendment in your situation, even if e-filing amendments was still active,  since you didn't e-file the original 2019 tax return with TTX.

But that's just my considered skepticism about what might be involved.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I just tried filing an amended 2019 return (1040) and Turbo Tax seems to only have an issue with the "signature date" I entered (02/17/2021, today).  It says the date entered must be between 01/01/2020 and 12/31/2020, which makes no sense.  Has anyone heard of a workaround?  There were no software updates available when I launched TT.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the Help Article here for further assistance.  

pswn214

this link does not say how to fix the signing of the e-file. Pretty bad reply!

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

As e-filing is no longer available for 2019, you would need to mail it in.

pretty lame response since this only deals with Windows desktop version and not online. so what does one have to do to e-file an amended return using online which is where the original 2019 return was prepared and what about the date issue? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies