Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I change my form to where I need to be claimed as a dependent? I need to fix a mistake I've made.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Can I change my form to where I need to be claimed as a dependent? I need to fix a mistake I've made.

Yes, you can amend your return or possibly correct your returnPlease read through the below information for the steps you will need to follow. 

If your return was e-filed you will need to wait until it is accepted or rejected. 

If it was accepted by the IRS I assume that means that your parents or guardians have not filed their return yet.  If they file listing you as a dependent,  your social security number or ITIN will be rejected on their return. 

If your parents are eligible to claim you as a dependent on their tax return, then you can't claim your exemption on your return.  Even if they are eligible to claim you on their return but do not, you still cannot claim yourself on your return. 

You will need to amend your return and check the box that "you can be claimed on someone else's return".  It can take weeks or several months for the IRS to process your return. If your parents can claim you as a dependent on their return, they may wish to file an extension until your amended return is processed.

For your parents to be eligible to claim you as a dependent on your return, the following requirements must be met:

Qualifying child

• They are your child or stepchild, foster child, sibling or a descendant of one of these.
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They are younger than you and under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).
  • No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children.
  • They did not provide more than half of their own support.

Please see below for very important information on amending your return from superuser Carl

Already E-Filed and Need To Change

If you have already E-filed your tax return and need to make a change for any reason, then you have no choice but to wait until the IRS processes your E-filed return. If the IRS rejects your E-filed return, then you can just make the necessary changes and resubmit it. You **DO** **NOT** amend a rejected or pending return. If you do, then you’ll find yourself in a never ending nightmare from which you will not awaken for a looooong time.

If the IRS accepts your E-filed return, then you must WAIT until the IRS has processed your return. If you have a refund due your return is not processed until you have received your refund. If you owe taxes, your refund is not processed until you have paid those taxes and your payment has cleared your financial institution. Once processing is complete, you will need to file an amended return. You cannot e-file an amended return. The IRS says you can’t. You have to print it, sign it (both the 1040 and 1040X) and mail it to the IRS.

If your E-Filed return is pending, and you change anything on your copy of your return, then you are guaranteed to have major issues with correcting or amending it later. So for your own sanity, do not touch anything until it’s time, as clarified above.

An amended return must be printed, signed and mailed. The IRS says so.

Please see below on how to amend a return.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Have you already e-filed you return?

Yes I have

@TurboTaxKarenJ yes I have
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you can amend your return or possibly correct your returnPlease read through the below information for the steps you will need to follow. 

If your return was e-filed you will need to wait until it is accepted or rejected. 

If it was accepted by the IRS I assume that means that your parents or guardians have not filed their return yet.  If they file listing you as a dependent,  your social security number or ITIN will be rejected on their return. 

If your parents are eligible to claim you as a dependent on their tax return, then you can't claim your exemption on your return.  Even if they are eligible to claim you on their return but do not, you still cannot claim yourself on your return. 

You will need to amend your return and check the box that "you can be claimed on someone else's return".  It can take weeks or several months for the IRS to process your return. If your parents can claim you as a dependent on their return, they may wish to file an extension until your amended return is processed.

For your parents to be eligible to claim you as a dependent on your return, the following requirements must be met:

Qualifying child

• They are your child or stepchild, foster child, sibling or a descendant of one of these.
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They are younger than you and under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).
  • No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children.
  • They did not provide more than half of their own support.

Please see below for very important information on amending your return from superuser Carl

Already E-Filed and Need To Change

If you have already E-filed your tax return and need to make a change for any reason, then you have no choice but to wait until the IRS processes your E-filed return. If the IRS rejects your E-filed return, then you can just make the necessary changes and resubmit it. You **DO** **NOT** amend a rejected or pending return. If you do, then you’ll find yourself in a never ending nightmare from which you will not awaken for a looooong time.

If the IRS accepts your E-filed return, then you must WAIT until the IRS has processed your return. If you have a refund due your return is not processed until you have received your refund. If you owe taxes, your refund is not processed until you have paid those taxes and your payment has cleared your financial institution. Once processing is complete, you will need to file an amended return. You cannot e-file an amended return. The IRS says you can’t. You have to print it, sign it (both the 1040 and 1040X) and mail it to the IRS.

If your E-Filed return is pending, and you change anything on your copy of your return, then you are guaranteed to have major issues with correcting or amending it later. So for your own sanity, do not touch anything until it’s time, as clarified above.

An amended return must be printed, signed and mailed. The IRS says so.

Please see below on how to amend a return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies