turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I change my direct deposit once after filing with IRS

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
CarolynB

Once your return has been accepted (or mailed), it's too late to change your bank account in TurboTax for direct deposit.  However, the IRS provides the following remedies:

• If the return hasn't already posted to their system, you can ask the IRS to stop the direct deposit. You may call them toll-free at 800-829-1040, M - F, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m.
  • Generally, if the financial institution recovers the funds and returns them to the IRS, the IRS will send a paper refund check to your last known address on file with the IRS.
  • If you have contacted the financial institution and two weeks have passed with no results, you will need to file Form 3911, Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund, to initiate a trace. This allows the IRS to contact the bank on your behalf to attempt recovery of your refund. Banks are allowed up to 90 days from the date of the initial trace input to respond to our request for information.
  • If funds aren't available or the bank refuses to return the funds, the IRS cannot compel the bank to do so. The case may then become a civil matter between you and the financial institution and/or the owner of the account into which the funds were deposited.
[edited 1/26/17]

2020beniH

I choose a check,then I changed to Direct deposit.When my tax preparer printed out my paperwork I noticed my routing and account number would not show .I called her back said she had already printed it out ,she said it go from her bank Santa Barbara to my account.Do you think that's ok?

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@2020beniH Once you have filed, you would not be able to change your refund method. If the account your refund is going to is invalid ect. the financial institution will send it back to the IRS and then they will mail you a paper check to the address on your return. 

Did you chose "Pay with My Refund"? When you sign up for Pay With My Refund, your refund will be handled through the Santa Barbara Tax Products Group (SBTPG, formerly SBBT).

Who provides Pay With My Refund?   I just wondered if that was related to the information you posted above.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
2020beniH

I hadn't been accepted yet 

Yet she printed my paperwork....thing was I was undecided on either check or direct deposit she had only prepared it or sumtimg like that so I called her and she said it go from her sbarbara bank to my account...I called and gave her my account info...so am she transfer my refund from the s b.bank to my account

They still have to have your info, bc the way it normally works is the preparer gets their portion instantly taken out and the rest is sent to you. Yea bc Banks wont accept a deposit if the name doesnt match,;PII Removed] I knew people that filed jointly and their deposit was declined bc they only had one of the 2 names associated with the account

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@2020beniH The "Pay with my Refund" option goes through Santa Barbara Tax Products Group (SBTPG, formerly SBBT). If you choose to pay your TurboTax fees with your refund this would be why. If you did give your bank account information, then that would mean, once the IRS Where’s My Federal Refund? site, shows  "Refund Sent" it can take 1 to 5 business days for the financial institution to deposit fund into your account.

So once Santa Barbara Tax Products Group receives your refund from the IRS, they will take out the fee and send to your financial institution. 

Please see the links below for more information:

I would like to change my direct deposit

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

If you have already filed, you won't be able to change your direct deposit, unfortunately.  For more information, see the link here:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/where-do-i-enter-my-bank-s-routing-or-acco...

Can I change my direct deposit

evaorchd

How do I change my direct deposit information after filing taxes 

@evaorchd

Did you already e-file?  If you did NOT e-file you can go to the FILE section and change how you want to receive your refund.  If you want direct deposit you need the routing number and your own account number.

You cannot  change banking information while your return is in pending, nor can you change it after the return is accepted.  The IRS does not allow it.

If you e-filed:

Banking information for direct deposit is wrong or closed

If you entered incorrect banking information for your refund, you can change it if your return is rejected.  If it is accepted, however, it is too late to change it.  The bank will reject the refund and send it back to the IRS.  Then the IRS will issue a paper check and mail it to the address you put on your tax return.  Expect a delay of at least a couple of weeks to receive your refund.

Here is what the IRS says about entering incorrect banking information

https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/tools-faqs/faqs-for-individuals/frequently-asked-tax-questions-an...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies