Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

PickyPicky
Returning Member

Can I amend an amended State return that I filed and paid taxes on interest income of US Savings Bonds?

I think I should not have sent an amended return to the state.  Only to the Federal.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can I amend an amended State return that I filed and paid taxes on interest income of US Savings Bonds?

not quite sure what you did. interest from EE U.S. savings bonds is taxed at the federal level but not at the state or local levels for income tax purposes.

it seems you filed amended returns correctly by filing only for the state.

However, if you used the bonds to pay qualified education expenses the interest may also be exempt for federal purposes. see this link

https://budgeting.thenest.com/redeem-savings-bonds-paying-taxes-33036.html 

PickyPicky
Returning Member

Thank you for your quick response.  I received a K-1 for Interest Income on EE & I U.S. savings bonds after I filed my 2021 Fed and State returns.  I then filed and paid additional taxes on amended returns (both Fed & State) for the K-1 Income.  I didn't realize that Interest on U.S. savings bonds were exempt on State Income Tax returns. Should I file another amended to the State to request a refund?

Yes ... you should  amend any  return that has an error on it.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies