beach004

Can beneficiary distribution letter be edited?

When I prepare K-1 forms for the various beneficiaries, TT Home and Business prints out form letters to send with those K-1's; but the date at the top of the letter is the date on which I purchased the software; and I can't find any way to edit it. That date is always going to be incorrect! How can it be changed?

tagteam

"... the date at the top of the letter is the date on which I purchased the software "

I have to assume you are using TurboTax Business (not Home & Business) because that is the only TurboTax version that is capable of generating K-1s for distribution to beneficiaries. 

The program uses the current date for the date that appears on the Beneficiary Letter. I just started my copy of TurboTax Business and the date is April 2, 2019 (see screenshot). The date cannot be edited from within the program, but can easily be edited with PDF software that has editing functionality.

If your letters have the date the software was purchased, something is seriously wrong; the date should be the current date which, presumably, is derived from your computer. Thus, you should check your PC's date/time and also check to ensure the program is properly installed. Beyond that, you can contact support (link below) for an operational issue of this nature.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263

tagteam

beach004

Thanks for good help. I do indeed have the Business version. I went back to the letter, and discover that if I highlight the date and right click, I get the opportunity to Override, which means I can thereby change the date. There's no visual clue to that, but once the cursor is on that line, it's possible. Thanks again.
tagteam

You are most welcome and, FWIW, I was able to override the date as well in my test return (I don't recall ever being able to do that before, though) so that is a welcome addition to the software.
beach004

I had never used Business before; needed it only because I'm executor on an estate. It would be nice if that function (1041s) could be performed using Premier or Home and Business: Business is very expensive, and I'm using only a tiny fraction of its capabilities.

The TT downloaded version REALLY needs to have a tutorial in the program just so you can know all the functions/features of it ... best one is the FORMS mode where many corrections can be made manually if needed.