turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hchewning
Returning Member

Best way to file amended return

I recently filed my 2020 tax return via Turbo Tax but now realize I made a mistake. I said I didn’t receive my second stimulus payment of $1,200 but I did. Since I told Turbo Tax I hadn’t received the payment, I received a $1,200 credit on the tax I owed.

To correct this, I asked a friend who previously worked for a tax-filing service what to do and he suggested, rather than send in an amended form, just send a check with a short letter of explanation.

Is this good advice? And if so, would I send the letter and check to the same address provided for my original filing and payment. (I submitted my tax file and payments digitally.

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Did you get your refund yet? The IRS is verifying the stimulus amounts reported on tax returns and will make corrections. They should fix your return and send the correct refund.

If a correction is needed, there may be a slight delay in processing your return and the IRS will send you a notice explaining any change made.

Related Resource:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
hchewning
Returning Member

I'm not due a return. I owe them an additional $1,200 because I mistakenly said I hadn't received the second stimulus check. Thinking I hadn't received the second check, I received a $1,200 credit for what would have been my second check. No refund is due.

With the link you provided, I found the information I needed. Thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies