turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

djjoe2506

I've got notice from Berkheimer that I owe tax & penalties of $125.22 on $7,388.00 "earnings" to PA for 2014.We haven't had earned income since '02 and '03.

Will you recheck your work on my 2014 PA return and advise?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

I've got notice from Berkheimer that I owe tax & penalties of $125.22 on $7,388.00 "earnings" to PA for 2014.We haven't had earned income since '02 and '03.

This is a user to user forum. 

To contact TurboTax support:

8 AM - 5 PM Pacific time , Mon-Fri.
https://turbotax.intuit.com/support/contact/index.jsp 

In the search line enter some keywords or question without quotes. On the next page, skip the suggested topic links and scroll down until you see CALL US.  It should show the wait times.

For how to view forms,see https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3294949-how-do-i-view-view-previous-years

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Turbo Tax doesn't do the work.  Your return is self prepared based on your entries.  Turbo Tax is just the program you used.

Berkheimer is a authorized collector of taxes for many PA municipalities.  They most often collect the PA local earned income tax, the local services tax, and any local per capita tax. The TurboTax program does not prepare any PA local earned income tax returns. TurboTax can be used to prepare the state income tax returns.  These are two completely separate returns. PA does share information from the PA income tax returns with local municipalities.  Your 2014 PA income tax return may have had income showing on your PA 40, line 1 or line 4, triggering the letter.  My advice is to check your copy of the PA 2014 state return and call or visit Berkheimer to discuss the reason for the letter.
Did you have an interest in a Subchapter S corporation?  Profit from a sub S (line 1 of the RK1) would be reported on your PA40 as business income and is the source of many erroneous letters from local tax authorities.
 Did you file a local earned income tax return for 2014? 
  Did you have any self-employment income in 2014?
djjoe2506

Thanks. I don't have to file a Local Return as I have no earned Income. I'm 75 so I've checked my old emails and find that I paid a fee to Turbo tax for the PA return and I've checked the instructions for preparing the return. None of the amount on Line 1 "Gross Compensation" meets the state definition of Gross Compensation. I haven't earned since 2002 and wife since 2003. We do the Turbo federal and sign on for the state as well. Our Fidelity documents are made available to Turbo for calculation. In every previous year what little income is found taxable is eligible for Tax Forgiveness. My return states that it is "self-prepared' . I think that must mean I vouched for a TurboTax result that will cost me some needless expense. I'll call Berkheimer tomorrow. Thanks for your help. BTW, our income is Social Sec., pensions, a bit of interest, and RMDs.
djjoe2506

Berkheimer blames a "glitch in the system". The 'compensation" was our RMDs. Not taxable. Thanks to all.
Hal_Al
Level 15

This is a user to user forum. 

To contact TurboTax support:

8 AM - 5 PM Pacific time , Mon-Fri.
https://turbotax.intuit.com/support/contact/index.jsp 

In the search line enter some keywords or question without quotes. On the next page, skip the suggested topic links and scroll down until you see CALL US.  It should show the wait times.

For how to view forms,see https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3294949-how-do-i-view-view-previous-years

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies