Any extra tax rebate if you lost job

Any extra tax rebate if you lost job

case 1:my income was $X untill october,then laid off until April next year. case 2: I were employed whole year with total income of $X. Question: Do I get more tax refund in case 1? Thanks. X=60000+

Any extra tax rebate if you lost job

There is a misunderstanding that when you go on unemployment, only your wages count for the earned income credit (EIC).  That's not the way it works. The earned income credit is first calculated (actually looked up in a table) on your earned income then it is calculated on your total income (AGI), including your unemployment compensation. You get the lesser of the two calculated EIC numbers. See the 2017 EIC table at: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/earned_income_credit_table_1040i.pdf">https://apps...>

Any extra tax rebate if you lost job

No.  Your tax return is based on the total income made for the whole year.  Not by the time.  

Any extra tax rebate if you lost job

Thanks for reply. I read somewhere that one get tax rebate if s/he remain unemployed for some part of the year. I also had to leave the country because of job loss.

Any extra tax rebate if you lost job

Never heard anything about that.  If you get unemployment insurance it is taxable.  If you had a 401k and took it out you can avoid the 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty if you were 55 when you stopped working there but the distribution is still taxable.

Any extra tax rebate if you lost job

You are asking from India. This us a USA tax forum.

Any extra tax rebate if you lost job

"case 1" "case 2"  Is this a homework question?

Any extra tax rebate if you lost job

Thanks everybody for your inputs. I was working in usa untill November 2017. And unemployed after that. now I am India, but still have to files usa IT return. My question is to know if I need to pay less tax as Due to unemployment ( no unemployment benefits availed) as compared to the situation when I were employed for whole 12month with income equal to current amount (untill job loss). Best!--
Please except delay in response, limited access to internet. Thanks for understanding.

Any extra tax rebate if you lost job

As indicated above, your tax return is based on the total income made for the whole year.   
Turbotax does not support Form 1040-NR for nonresident aliens.

Any extra tax rebate if you lost job

thanks Jean! Can you pls guide me to online chat support?

Any extra tax rebate if you lost job

There is no online chat.  You are posting on a user to user message board.
You cannot use Turbotax for nonresident tax returns. How long were you in the USA?

Any extra tax rebate if you lost job

complete 2017.I come  in resident Alien category.

Any extra tax rebate if you lost job

Since you lost your job in November, your 2017 US income won't be much less than if had worked until Dec 31.