turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rajk1401

Any extra tax rebate if you lost job

case 1:my income was $X untill october,then laid off until April next year. case 2: I were employed whole year with total income of $X. Question: Do I get more tax refund in case 1? Thanks. X=60000+

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

There is a misunderstanding that when you go on unemployment, only your wages count for the earned income credit (EIC).  That's not the way it works. The earned income credit is first calculated (actually looked up in a table) on your earned income then it is calculated on your total income (AGI), including your unemployment compensation. You get the lesser of the two calculated EIC numbers. See the 2017 EIC table at: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/earned_income_credit_table_1040i.pdf">https://apps...>

No.  Your tax return is based on the total income made for the whole year.  Not by the time.  

rajk1401

Thanks for reply. I read somewhere that one get tax rebate if s/he remain unemployed for some part of the year. I also had to leave the country because of job loss.

Never heard anything about that.  If you get unemployment insurance it is taxable.  If you had a 401k and took it out you can avoid the 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty if you were 55 when you stopped working there but the distribution is still taxable.

You are asking from India. This us a USA tax forum.

"case 1" "case 2"  Is this a homework question?
rajk1401

Thanks everybody for your inputs. I was working in usa untill November 2017. And unemployed after that. now I am India, but still have to files usa IT return. My question is to know if I need to pay less tax as Due to unemployment ( no unemployment benefits availed) as compared to the situation when I were employed for whole 12month with income equal to current amount (untill job loss). Best!--
Please except delay in response, limited access to internet. Thanks for understanding.

As indicated above, your tax return is based on the total income made for the whole year.   
Turbotax does not support Form 1040-NR for nonresident aliens.
rajk1401

thanks Jean! Can you pls guide me to online chat support?

There is no online chat.  You are posting on a user to user message board.
You cannot use Turbotax for nonresident tax returns. How long were you in the USA?
rajk1401

complete 2017.I come  in resident Alien category.

Since you lost your job in November, your 2017 US income won't be much less than if had worked until Dec 31.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies