turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

No getting ahold of i.r.s. my refund is lost or stolen and nobody helps me. Very frustrating. all I can do is give up. have spent literally days trying to track my refund

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

No getting ahold of i.r.s. my refund is lost or stolen and nobody helps me. Very frustrating. all I can do is give up. have spent literally days trying to track my refund

How are you sure your refund is lost or stolen?  What does it say at the IRS site? <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/refunds">https://www.irs.gov/refunds</a>
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

And he asked a question about a 2016 return a month ago.  So we don't know what tax year he is trying to track.  If he recently mailed a 2016 return, it won't be in WMR.

Exactly.  After replying to this I saw all the other posts.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Yes, it's a big salad now.  🙂
CoreyLO

If your refund check was lost, stolen, destroyed or not received and has not been cashed, the IRS can normally provide a replacement within six to eight weeks.

Availability of "Refund Trace"

Refund Trace, is a feature available to some taxpayers whose refund may have been lost, stolen, destroyed, or just hasn't been received. It is not available during the following times: 

Sunday12:00 am (Midnight) to 7:00 pmMonday12:00 am (Midnight) to 6:00 amTuesday3:30 am to 6:00 amWednesday3:30 am to 6:00 amThursday3:30 am to 6:00 amFriday3:30 am to 6:00 amSaturday3:30 am to 6:00 amand 9:00 pm to 12:00 am (Midnight)Eastern Time

https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/irtrconlinehelp.jsp

If you lost your refund check, you should initiate a refund trace:

• Call the IRS at 800-829-1954 (toll-free) and either use the automated system or speak with an agent.

• However, if you filed a married filing jointly return, you can’t initiate a trace using the automated systems. Download and complete the Form 3911Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund, or the IRS can issue you a Form 3911 to get the replacement process started.

Your claim for a missing refund is processed one of two ways:

• If the check wasn't cashed, you'll receive a replacement check once the original check is canceled.
  • If the refund check was cashed, the Bureau of the Fiscal Service (BFS) will provide you with a claim package that includes a copy of the cashed check. Follow the instructions for completing the claim package. BFS will review your claim and the signature on the canceled check before determining whether they can issue you a replacement check. The BFS review can take up to six weeks to complete.

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/refund-inquiries/refund-inquiries-0

I am so glad I got to see this, finally.... I am in the same boat, have the Informed Delivery App on phone from the post office was expecting check on said day, have doorbell ring video footage of Carrier bringing the mail to the door slot, but have 3 people staying here and have not been able to get help in any way.  Just wanted to say "Thank You!"

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies