Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

null358

An amendment to my 1099 showed a increase in Qualified Div with removal from reg. Div. Will this affect my IRS statement?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

An amendment to my 1099 showed a increase in Qualified Div with removal from reg. Div. Will this affect my IRS statement?

What do you mean by "removal from reg. Div."?

On a 1099-DIV ordinary dividends are reported on line 1, the *part* of line 1a that are qualified dividends are reported on line 1b.    Line 1b is always the same as or less than line 1a since line 1a reports all the dividends and line 1b the amount of line 1a that are qualified.

If the line 1b amount was changes then it probably would affect the amount of tax owed or refund amount depending on your circumstances.    If the amount is small then it might not be worth the effort to amend.

{Corrected line numbers]

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Anonymous
Not applicable

line 1a on 1099 is total dividends which consists of qualified dividends reported on line 1b and non qualified which isn't reported on the 1099 though the broker may  provide a supplemental schedule. line 2a-d are capital gains dividends.   line 3 is non dividend distributions (return of capital) lines 2 and 3 are not included in line 1a or 1b.  in addition there may be an amount on line 5. these are part of the total and nonqualified dividends

if line 1a went down and line 1b went up then line  line 2 or 3 would normally would go down.  that is either a capital gain dividend or non dividend distribution has been reclassified as   qualified.    

far-right-wing

put another way line 1b + nonqualified dividends + 2a + 3 = total dividends  (not reported on 1099 but may be shown on supplemental schedule)  so if 1b goes up other amounts (maybe total must change)

since we don't know exactly what changed can't tell you  or even estimate the amount your taxes might changed 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies