turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why my amended tax return is saying zero balance

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

You will still get the first refund or need to pay the original tax due.  Then the amended return is only for the difference you get back or owe.  In fact you should not even amend until the first return has fully processed and you get the first refund or your tax due payment has cleared.  And make sure the original refund or tax paid shows up on the amended return.  You can confirm this by printing your amendment and looking at the 1040X. Line 18 should be your original refund amount and line 22 should be your additional refund.  If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16.  If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

An amended return is a standalone return on its own.  When you start the process of amending a tax return previously filed, the refund/balance due meter zeroes out. 

If you are seeing a zero balance on an amended return after you have made changes to your originally filed return, then that means that the changes you made did not affect the bottom line of your original return.  You will not receive an additional refund and you do not owe any taxes. 

Depending on the change that you made, you may still need to file the amended return even though there is not a change in the refund/balance due.

Take a look at the information below for guidance on when you would need to file the amended return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3318732

Qneela

This response - and the TurboTax software - makes a HUGE assumption that you have actually received the refund from your original return.  I have filed my 2020 return with an indicated refund of $3800.  The IRS has not issued any refund to date.  2.5 years later I have finally been told that 1 number in 1 box needs to be moved to another box.  The refund will not change - it is still $3800.  However, it is IMPOSSIBLE to accomplish this in TurboTax due to the zeroing of the balances at the start of the amend process.  I move the numbers as instructed and TurboTax still says that my refund is $0 when in reality it is $3800.  I have no choice but to file a manual 1040-X.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies