turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

carlitomi

Amount due IRS

Submitted our return May 15 2021 with a balance due of $667.00 verified by TurboTax.  Waiting for IRS to notify us of payment plan.  This last week Sep 22 2021 received an amount due for $2,491.25.  What happen?  I had TurboTax perform the Final Review which produced the Federal Tax Due of $667.00 and had accepted paying. 

my email is [email address removed].

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Amount due IRS

No one in the user forum knows what happened.   TurboTax does not receive any information from the IRS after you file your tax return.     The amount of about  an $1800 discrepancy sounds like you may have made a mistake with the recovery rebate credit though.   Lots of people made mistakes with that credit.

TurboTax has no way to know whether you received the 1st and/or 2nd EIP payments.   When you prepared your tax return you were asked in the Federal Review section if you had received those payments.   If you said you did not receive the payment(s) then the stimulus payment was put on line 30 of your tax return as a recovery rebate credit.  The IRS cross checks every return with an amount on line 30.  If the IRS sees that they already issued the EIP payment(s) to you then they adjust your refund and/or you end up with tax due.

Check your IRS account---does the IRS say they sent you a payment that you did not receive? (If you filed a joint return you need to check for both spouses.)   If so you can ask for a trace to be put on the payment.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

If you were issued a payment and have not received it, see How do I request a payment trace to track my first or second Economic Impact Payments?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
carlitomi

Amount due IRS

Thank You Ms xmasbaby0 I agree with you on the $1800 but I don't understand how I doubled the amount on the return.  Am I to understand that I should not have filed the Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet?

Amount due IRS

@carlitomi Did you receive all of the stimulus payments before you filed your tax return?   Or maybe right after you filed?  Some people who filed early said they had not received the 2nd stimulus payment and then the payment showed up a few days or weeks later.  If you had an amount on line 30 of your tax return for a stimulus payment--but you already received the payment---the IRS took it away from your refund.

You can use the links provided to you to check for the total amount of stimulus money you received.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies