Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amending prior year returns

I'm trying to amend 2017 and 2016 tax year filings. Per the instructions I uploaded both the 2017 and 2016 software. I have PDF copies of those years returns but is there anything else I need? Will I need the on line versions of the returns to get the software to work? And if so how do I obtain them?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

To upload your returns in the software, you will need a .tax file, not a PDF. We are not able to assist in converting the files, but you may be able to do a search online to see if you can find software to assist you with this. Please click here for more information. If you filed your returns online please see these instructions for downloading your previous returns in a .tax format. If you did your 2016 and 2017 taxes using our software, the .tax file should have automatically been stored on your PC/Mac 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
cmtench

I need to amend 2018, and have already filed 2019. When I go through the steps and click Amend, it looks for prior year's return, but doesn't load the data. It appears to be creating another 2019 file.  I only need to add a missing document into 2018, which will adjust the tax liability. I don't want to create another 2019 file, as that has already been filed.

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please follow the below instructions on how to access and amend a prior year return:  

If you have already filed and your refund is pending, you will need to complete an Amendment to capture the new forms.  To complete and Amendment, please see the below link:

ttps://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-f...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies