turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

today

Amending 2020 tax return

I did my 2020 taxes (federal and state) through turbo tax and realized that I forgot to include 2 1099-Rs and I did receive acknowledgement that both forms have been accepted. So I went into turbo tax and added the 1099-R and it is noted that the amended form for 2020 taxes is not ready yet. Do you know when it will be ready?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Amending 2020 tax return

The 1040X will not be ready until March 26.   Change your return back to its original condition.  When you amend you have to be able to work from it exactly the way it looked when you e-filed it or you will have  big mess.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Amending 2020 tax return

This explains why when I changed my forms directly (after e-filing) to the correct information, the summary is not reflecting the changes, and I have a bunch of forms that aren't adjusting to the new information! So I hope I can correct this problem by returning the data to what I entered before making the corrections.

The problem for me was that I noticed (after e-filing) that TT combined the loan amounts for my original Construction loan (interest only) with the Refi we did last May after we moved in to our new home. It excluded about $4,000 from our home mortgage interest, and we ended up owing instead of getting the refund we should be getting because of all of our deductions.

I figured out a way to correct the faulty interest limitation by going directly to the home mortgage forms and fixing the information, and our bottom line is being reflected in Federal & State return amounts, but when I go to several forms within the return, it still has old information... Argh! This is such a pain. I have never experienced these kinds of troubles using Turbo Tax in the past.

Beechjak

Amending 2020 tax return

I just got my son social security number after I filled for my 2020 tax return, and it says it has been approved. So I was wanting to go in and amend it, but there is no amend button. Can someone help me? I scared I'm not going to be able to go back and claim my son on this tax return.

Amending 2020 tax return

If you want to file the 1040X manually (not eFile) you can download the instructions and form from the IRS. However, TT is saying that they will be set up to handle 2020 amendments in a week or so. From other posts I've read in the Community, you must have your return in tact as it was submitted for your eFile instead of implementing changes in the interim. 

I have the sorrowful task of trying to recreate my return before implementing several changes that are not easy to locate after the fact... so that I can "amend" using TT or just toss all of it, and submit paper forms for everything that needs to be amended now that I already eFiled Federal and need the new information to appropriately file for my State.

Amending 2020 tax return

Here is the link to the PDF instructions and 1040X form:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies