Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended return status says cannot provide information about my amended return

I checked the status of my amended return on the IRS web site and it says we cannot provide any information about my amended return. I mailed it out on 2/12/2020. Is there any reason i wouldn’t be able to get an update on it? I turned in the correct forms and I made sure to double check. The irs provided a number to call but of course they are low on staff atm so there is no live person available. I assume my paperwork was fine because I never received a piece of mail saying otherwise.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

In  normal times you would be able to see something about an amended return about three weeks after mailing it in.  These are not normal times.  If you used tracking when you mailed it like UPS or certified mail, then you will know that it was received.  The IRS is backlogged with millions of tax returns and millions of stimulus checks to process right now.  Amended returns have no doubt taken a back seat to those.  Sorry---it usually takes about 4 months to fully process an amended return--expect it to take longer.

Eventually you should be able to look here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Unfortunately I sent via usps regular mail envelope 

it’s been entirely to long I been waiting since february just to find out I had to do a amended return in june someone from the irs said I should hear from them or receive a check sometime in September but how are you gone determine that if you claim you haven’t received my amended return yet which has been way over 3 weeks this is ridiculous 

OK ...  you said you mailed the amended return mid Feb ?   Was it for the 2020 return ?   

If so the original 2020 return had to be processed first before they will even look at the amended return ... so did they process the original return yet ?   

The amended return can take 6 months or more from the time the IRS processes the original return ... last year some amended returns took more than a year to process.  So if you filed a 2019 or earlier amended return expect it to take forever.  

What did you amend for ?  

No my original return was accepted in february and I was told I had to do a amended return months later which was done the middle of June which they claim take 3 weeks to show up on the where’s my amended return tool but it still not showing up and I don’t understand why it’s not showing it’s august now that’s been way over 3 weeks from when it was mailed off in June I had to do a amended return because the tax preparer I went to had did multiple errors on my return

and yes it’s my 2020 return 

OH BOY  ... you have a LOOOONG time to wait ... the "3 week" availability on the WMAR? tool  is not being honored currently no matter what the site says .  Expect it to take 6 months or more for the amended return to even start to be processed and  show on the tracking tool ... so check it once  a  week until you see the return is in the system.  

Yes it’s so stressful but thank you for the information 

When will I be able to see the status of my amended return status

@Williams13

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six to nine  months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies