turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended return "original amounts" do not match actual original amounts

I received notice today that I can amend my 2018 return to take the PMI credit. (I do the online version of turbotax.)   On the amended return -page 1 shows the "original" amounts from your 2018 filing in 1 column -and what they are now in another.  The original amount it is showing for my itemized deductions on the amendment  does not match the actual original amount from my return.  It is off by more than $3600 and is causing me to receive a larger refund than I should- which sounds fantastic except I don't really want the IRS auditing me.  I have tried contacting turbotax (good luck there)  - I don't know if this is some kind of bug- the $3600 amount matches nothing (it's not the total of the PMI- it's not one of my former deductions)  I would think Turbotax would want to know about it and fix it.  IF it's not a bug I wish someone would explain to me what the calculation is and why it differs from what I REALLY claimed on my 2018 return 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

You cannot amend 2018 online.  Online is only for 2019 returns.  See link below for 2018 amend instructions.

Amended returns can only be mailed. It is suggested that it be mailed certified with return receipt (or other tracking service) to verify that the IRS receives it.

See this TurboTax FAQ for detailed amend instructions:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

-- Amended returns can only be mailed - allow 8-12 weeks - can take up to 16 weeks (4 months) for processing.

You can check the status of the amended return here, but allow 3 weeks after mailing.

https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I received an email directly from Turbotax saying you can amend your 2018 return online due to new tax laws- and they gave me a link to do so.  I amended the return online via turbotax- and re amended it- and did it again and again.  And it is still showing an incorrect $$ amount

re-amend - aka amend a second time. Does not work.

If you can delete the amendment and get the return back to as it was originally filed, you might  try again, after logging out to save your return.

Sequence : 

• open original return
  • enter AMEND.
  • make your changes.
  • Print form 1040X

Here's another way.

You must have a copy of the original tax return you want to update.

The simplest way is to prepare your correct tax return (using TurboTax for example, or other means) and print it.
Then lay the paper printouts of both returns (correct and original) side-by-side.
You now have all the information needed to prepare Form1040X by hand.
It's pretty straight-forward.

The blank form in fillable PDF format and its instructions are available at www.irs.gov.
Mail to the same address you would mail your original tax return.

That’s what I am running into. The 1098 was completely filled out including box 5  when I did 2018 taxes. It auto populated  a refund amount when I clicked amend. I figured it was for the mortgage insurance premiums.  The numbers don’t really match anything.  I’m wondering if I should print the 1040x and send it in, or if it’s a glitch.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies