Solved: Amend 2020 Tax Forms for the Recovery Rebate Credi...

jmartin2178

Amend 2020 Tax Forms for the Recovery Rebate Credit

How can I amend my 2020 Tax Froms to apply or complete the 1040-X form? We recently mailed in the 2019 Tax Froms to the IRS for my daughter. After realizing we forgot to claim her as a dependant in 2019 on our Tax Froms. This may now work in our favor as she should now be qualified for the 3 Stimulus checks.

We recently completed my daughters 2020 taxes via E-File using Turbo Tax Online version. Shortly after while doing our taxes noticed we didn't claim her as a dependant in 2019.

How can we amend my daughters 2020 taxes to trigger the 1040-X form for the Recovery Rebate Credit?

LenaH

No, you do not have to manually amend her tax return. 

Please follow the steps below:

1. With her return open, search for stimulus with the magnifying glass tool on the top of the page.
  2. Select the Jump to Stimulus in the search results to directly go to correct TurboTax page.
  3. You will come to a page titled Let's double-check the amount you received and it will list the first-round and second-round payments based on her 2020 return.
  4. Answer No for the question, Is this what you received? 
  5. Enter the amounts of the first and second round stimulus payments she received ($0). I have attached a screenshot below for additional guidance. 

@jmartin2178

JamesG1

If you have e-filed your 2020 Federal tax return and the tax return is accepted by the IRS, you will have to amend your 2020 Federal tax return and correct the entries and calculations to receive the Recovery Rebate Credit.

Follow these steps to amend a 2020 Federal 1040 tax return in TurboTax Online.

1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. Scroll down to Your tax returns and documents, select 2020, then Amend (change) your return.
    1. If you only see the option to amend 2019 or earlier, it's because you can't amend an unfiled 2020 return. Instead, select Pick up where you left off so you can make any changes before you file.
  3. Carefully follow the instructions. Don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal for amended returns.

If you have not received one or both of your stimulus checks, you will receive your payment in the form of a Recovery Rebate Credit on line 30 of your 2020 Federal tax return when you file.

In TurboTax Online, you are prompted to input stimulus check 1 and stimulus check 2 information under Review down the left hand side of the screen.  You may also access your stimulus check choices by following these steps: 

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Other Tax Situations.
  • At the screen Let’s keep going to wrap up.  Click on Let’s keep going.
  • At the screen Let’s make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
  • At the screen Did you get a stimulus payment? you can update your stimulus check entries.

TurboTax will compare your one or two stimulus payment amounts to the computations within TurboTax.  The computations within TurboTax are based upon the information that you have entered into the tax software.  If you are due an additional amount, it will be issued as a Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return.

jmartin2178

I can get into the 2020 Tax form to Amend, however I see no option to access the page for the Recovery Rebate Credit.?.

Is this an option in the Turbo Tax Delux Online version?

MarilynG1

Go to the Federal Review section at the top to enter your stimulus payment info for the Recovery Rebate Credit

jmartin2178

Hey Marilyn, 

That option worked when I originally submitted my 2020 tax forms online, however I am now attempting to amend my 2020 forms & the recovery credit rebate option does not seem to appear.?.

Will I now have to amend the forms manually for the recovery credit rebate option while amending the 2020 forms?

LenaH

Please follow the steps below:

@jmartin2178

jmartin2178

That did the trick! However, it worked for my taxes as I filled the previous year. 

For my daughter’s taxes it will not come up, yet I believe that is because we just sent in her 2019 tax information by mail and still waiting for it to be processed.?. Hopefully once the 2019 tax forms have been processed the stimulus option will appear when we go to amend her 2020 forms.