Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

summerlily
Returning Member

Accepted 1/24 Status Bar Disappeared 2/11 w/ "Still Being Processed" Message

Should I Just Go Ahead And Amend My Return?

Sooo, I Did A BooBoo On My Taxes This Year 🙄 I Filed With The W2's From My 2 Permanent Employers I Had Received In Mid January, Totally Forgetting I Worked 2 Temporary Assignments The Beginning Of 2021, And  Received Those W2's February 4th. I Also Discovered Last Week, That I Entered In The CTC/Stimulus Amounts In The Wrong Boxes (Entered CTC In Stimulus Box and Stimulus Amount In The CTC Box....I Know, I Know So Stupid Of Me).

I Kind Of Had A Feeling My Return Would Get Denied Because Of That. I Also Added My Newborn Baby That Was Born In November 2021, And After 4 Years Of Having The Same DD Method- I Changed My Bank Account Information (That Shouldn't Be An Issue Though).

Anyway I Go On The IRS WMR Portal And Got This Message Yesterday: "Your Tax Return Is Still Being Processed. A Refund Date Will Be Provided When Available. For More Information About Processing Delays, Please See Our Refund Frequently Asked Questions". I'm Thinking There'll Be A Letter In The Mail From The IRS Following The Disappearance Of My Bar.... Do You Think I Just Amend Or Wait For A Letter From Them Stating What I Already Know? (Thank You All In Advance For The Answers!)

Screenshot_2022-02-12-03-58-36-426.jpg

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Wait until your return is processed since it is likely that the IRS will make some adjustments on your return. Then you can amend to correct any remaining inaccuracies. 

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed, nor can you stop it.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox on the corner.

If you left out a W-2, a 1099G, or a dependent, or a 1099 etc…DO NOT change your return while it is “pending.”  The changes will go nowhere.

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return. 

If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return. You have to be able to work from that return exactly the way it was when it was e-filed originally.  You will need to use a form called a 1040X. return.  

Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed

See this TurboTax support FAQ on amending a tax return originally completed and filed using the 2020 TurboTax online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies