Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2022 Fed Tax deadline was extended to Oct 16 but got CP14 NOTICE?

Fed Tax filing and payment deadline for 2022 was extended to Oct16 for disaster declared  CA counties. We still got a CP14  ?  

Does some known what the rule was ?

1. Did we need to show proof of disaster affecting us personally? HOW?

2. Were both filling and payment deadlines moved ?

3. Could we file on April18  but delay payment to Oct? 

4. If we filed did we have to pay? Did we have to pay anyway ( only filing extended)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Disaster-area taxpayers in most of California and parts of Alabama and Georgia now have until Oct. 16, 2023, to file various federal individual and business tax returns and make tax payments, the Internal Revenue Service announced today. Previously, the deadline had been postponed to May 15 for these areas.

The IRS is offering relief to any area designated by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) in these three states. There are four different eligible FEMA declarations, and the start dates and other details vary for each of these disasters. The current list of eligible localities and other details for each disaster are always available on the Tax Relief in Disaster Situations page on IRS.gov.

The IRS automatically provides filing and penalty relief to any taxpayer with an IRS address of record located in the disaster area. Therefore, taxpayers do not need to contact the agency to get this relief. However, if an affected taxpayer receives a late filing or late payment penalty notice from the IRS that has an original or extended filing, payment or deposit due date falling within the postponement period, the taxpayer should call the number on the notice to have the penalty abated.

Not quite what I am looking for. Are folks getting CP14 (tax due) for 2022 despite being the CA disaster counties? 

@1024Vijay  I am in the same boat as you.    I filed my return before 4/18,  I live in a California county where filing/paying deadlines were extended to 10/16.  I planed to pay the balance in October, but received CP14 on 6/4 demanding payment by 6/26.  The amount on the notice matches my return filed, and the notice didn't assess any penalty or interest.  I can't figure out why.  

Thanks for that response! 

After a 2 hr hold I received a what I would call an explanation but not any kind of resolution.

After much looking around and checking what I was told is that if you "filed" your return it was processed in and if payment was not received a CP14 was generated. Agent could not tell me if it was a "mistake" and if I  could ignore it or do anything about it. It seems to me that the tax return was not filed thus would not have happened.

So , my resolution is to just pay it as it's the one with the least hurdles. 

READ THE NOTICE AND RESPOND AS DIRECTED ... THE NOTICE IS AUTOMATICALLY SENT BY A COMPUTER NOT A HUMAN ...   

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-cp14-notice

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/tax-relief-in-disaster-situations

California extended tax return and payment deadline.  On June 8, 2023 Sacramento, CA KCRA channel 3 posted this.  Here is the link,  Californians receive payment notices for June despite IRS’s tax relief announcement

KCRA 3 News submitted questions to the IRS Tuesday and heard back on Wednesday. The IRS said that taxpayers receiving the letters are covered by the extension and they do not need to call the IRS.

Here is their full statement:

"The IRS reassures California taxpayers that they continue to have an automatic extension until later this year to file and pay their taxes for those covered by disaster declarations in the state. The current mailings being received by some taxpayers, the IRS Notice CP-14, are for taxpayers who have a balance due, and they are sent out as a legal requirement. While the notice received by taxpayers says they need to pay in 21 days, most California taxpayers have until later this year to pay under the disaster declaration. These letters include a special insert that notes the payment date listed in the letter does not apply to those covered by a disaster declaration, and the disaster dates remain in effect.

The IRS apologizes to taxpayers and tax professionals for any confusion as we continue to review the situation. Taxpayers receiving these letters do not need to call the IRS or their tax professional."

Ok  ... once again the devil is in the details ... always read the entire notice including any fine print.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies