Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TCCJJ41
Returning Member

2021 tax return

I filed my taxes and you have me getting back over 5k. Turbo tax never notified me that I could not put my daughter as a dependent bc of certain circumstances, and submitted to the IRS. Now I get a letter stating I owe them money! Why didn't turbo tax send up a red flag to me or tell me my return wasn't correct? Then you want me to pay you for nothing!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

2021 tax return

TurboTax is a self prepared software, you are paying for the returns.  It prepares a return with the information that you enter.  If you enter information about your daughter TurboTax has no idea if it is correct or not.  They can only go by what you entered in order to get to the prepared return.  The letter from the IRS should have stated what information was wrong.  If you do not agree with it, then in the letter it states what you can do if you don't agree.  

View solution in original post

2 Replies

2021 tax return

TurboTax is a self prepared software, you are paying for the returns.  It prepares a return with the information that you enter.  If you enter information about your daughter TurboTax has no idea if it is correct or not.  They can only go by what you entered in order to get to the prepared return.  The letter from the IRS should have stated what information was wrong.  If you do not agree with it, then in the letter it states what you can do if you don't agree.  

2021 tax return

@TCCJJ41 - what are the 'certain circumstances' - if you responded to the TT questions accurately, TT would have been able to figure out whether you daughter was a dependent or not...

questions:

how old is your daugter as of 12/31/21

is she a student?

did she earn over $4300 in 2021?

did she live with you for at least 6 months of 2021?  (away at college counts as 'living with you')

is the issue truly about whether your daughter is a dependent or not...or is it about the Recovery Credit/ Stimulus and the Child Tax Credit.

I am hard pressed to understand how removing your daughter from your tax return created a swing of more than $5,000.  Is there something more to this story..... was she claimed by someone else?

if you post the answers to these questions, I may be able to explain what happened 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies